Craterlet Jupiter settings?

Okay, I just got my hands on a celestron 102GT as well as a NexImage Solar System Imager ( the 100 dollar one )  I used automatic settings in iCap2.3 for the moon which provided neat pictures.. ( see attachment ) Also, side note.. this was the first time using a eyepiece camera, so the focus is a bit off.. But am still happy with the results..

However when trying to find any stars or other planets in the preview window, even after aligning and all that jazz the screen showed up blank..

So i saught out a new capturing software and came across Craterlet, and was wondering what type of settings should i have for exposure and all that jazz to be able too see Jupiter and film it?

Or any links on how too get images of the orion nebula? I could see it with relatively good detail through the 10mm eyepiece, but when trying the camera nothing but black screen shows up..

So i guess what im asking is for some settings too record jupiter, and some settings too be able to record things like the orion nebula, now granted this 100 dollar camera is probably pretty limited in its uses, but hoping for the best!'

Thanx in advance, and may your nights have Clear skies!

~LenGazer

you can try Sharpcap  or firecapture, lots of people on here use them for capturing their images and lots of advice on settings
as to DSO's a video camera's not the best to use, normally people use DSLR or CCD's for DSO

you can try Sharpcap  or firecapture, lots of people on here use them for capturing their images and lots of advice on settings

as to DSO's a video camera's not the best to use, normally people use DSLR or CCD's for DSO

Yea im on a very limited budget, so the $100 cmos camera was my only real option, that and im not very Do it yourself, so the taking of a webcam and breaking it down into a 1.25" tube isnt a viable option for me.

Since its not the "Best" too use, it could technically still work right? For a few of the Brighter DSO's?  also have a 10 inch reflector i can hook it into instead of using the 4 inch refractor. if that would change anything.

I think you will struggle to record the brighter DSOs with your camera. Cameras such as the Neximage SSI don't have the sensitivity or the facility for long exposures required for DSO imaging.

Thanks for the input, I'll stick with the solar system objects until I can upgrade too a CCD.

Cheers! :smiley:

Any chance one of yall could point me in the direction of a link where i can find jupiter capture settings using sharpcap? and the above posted equipment?

keep the gain about 50% start off at a slow exposure and get Jupiter on the screen then take the exposure down till you get a clear image

use the histogram as a guide, get it to about 50 - 70% of the full width and you won't be far off

then its just trial & error to see what works best

keep the gain about 50% start off at a slow exposure and get Jupiter on the screen then take the exposure down till you get a clear image

use the histogram as a guide, get it to about 50 - 70% of the full width and you won't be far off

then its just trial & error to see what works best

cant find the "gain" setting in Sharpcap, but I did manage too see Jupiter last night (using the camera in my eyepiece), but had one heck of a time trying to focus the [removed word].  But like you said, trial and error.

Archived