Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Tuesday 18th March

Pig

I managed to get a quick 15 minutes in today before these big black clouds came rolling back in.

I have to say Solar observing is not only warm but it is ever changing, I am as excited as the little boy across the road was the other night.

I did a quick sketch today to remind me of the detail I saw through the 9mm SLV.

I would urge anyone to get one  of these eyepieces ASAP whatever magnification you prefer. I have only tried it on Solar so my input stops there.

I need to learn the names of the characteristics of the sun but I will do my best to describe them in a simple way.

Surface detail
Lots of granulation (orange peel)
Swirling Scrolls visible all over the surface 

Sunspot
Big sunspot centre left of disc

Prominences / Ejections
A big ejection on the  right hand side of the disc around the 1 O'clock position (It looked just like the one on Startrek that the enterprise flies through during the credits)
Next to it about the 2 O'clock position there was what I can only describe as a thick pineapple stalk shooting out in four directions, absolutely wonderful.
Another large 3 pronged  spurt at the seven O'clock position

Archived