NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200p with EQ5 Mount Kit Advice

Hi,

I currently have a skywatcher heritage 130p which i'm really happy with.

I've been looking at the skywatcher 200p explorer as a possible upgrade, but am wandering if there would be a significant difference or not.

My main use for the telescope is planetary and nebula/galaxy.  

The heritage 130p gives some really nice views of the planets and okish views of DSO's.  I think my main problem may be light pollution.

Will having a bigger aperture increase the amount of detail seen in DSO's or planets?

In my 5inch i can clearly see the double bands on jupiter and a hint of other smaller bands at the top and bottom.  Will the 8inch give a dramatic increase in this?

The orion nebula has been quite underwhelming from my backyard, again possibly due to light pollution. Will there be an improvement in this?

Thanks in advance.

You can counter that light pollution with higher magnification. What you will notice is the difference in focal length , enabling you achieve higher magnification. From x150-x200 should suit you for planets and the brighter planetary nebulae,

Nick.

That's good about the higher magnification nick, thanks.

I currently use my heritage 130p at 130x magnification comfortably and on a good night I barlowed up to 200x with OK results.

Oldpink in terms of visuals do you see a lot of detail with the naked eye on Jupiter and the Orion nebula? The picture looks amazing, I'm just curious what features you can see. Cheers.

Archived