Jupiter 13th March

Stu

Just been outside with the Vixen on Jupiter, and having some wonderful views. The seeing is not brilliant, but with a 9mm BGO at x150 the detail is very nice.

GRS is heading towards the meridian, followed by Europa which I could still see against the planet as a bright tiny disk which is a first for me.

The other moons are resolved as lovely tiny disks too, really sharp.

I'm really just as impressed by the Atlux mount too. I set it up very roughly pointed north and did a three star align. It has been tracking Jupiter bang on at x150 letting me really concentrate on taking in the detail. I had forgotten about the benefits that come with a good EQ mount.

Will pop back out again shortly to see if I can still see Europa :-)

Stu

Mist got very heavy here about 20 minutes ago, so aborted ship, but for a while it was very good at times. First time I've been able to push to 240x with the 5mm BGO and it showed some really god details at times during the GRS transit. There was a lot swapping going on with the 6mm Radian, couldn't make up my mind which I preferred on this occasion in the 10 inch. They sure have their own traits and character.

Also some good viewing on the moon with seeing some small features round vallis schroteri, Herodotus, Aristarchus looked stunningly sharp and beautiful in the 5mm the BGO. :smiley:

Archived