NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky Surfer V issue - mount looseness?

I have an issue with my Baader Sky Surfer V RDF, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered the same problem.

The problem is that the female-female dovetail attachment part that should tighten around the RDF dovetail and the foot dovetail is tight only around the foot dovetail. The other dovetail is left rattling slightly. It appears as if one dovetail side of the female-female part has had too much metal machined off compared to the other side. A partial workaround is to attach the foot so that it's not in the middle of the female-female part, allowing the part to bend slightly on one end to get good contact with the RDF body dovetail. This still leaves that other end of the RDF body dovetail loose, resulting in some vertical looseness.

I'd be happy to hear about any similar or dissimilar experiences.

I've not had that on, although it did take a bit of wiggling and fettling to get it settled (you mean the bit by the finder, as opposed to the universal mount as attaches to the scope?) - have you tried putting the F-F bits the other way up? Also ensure that the finder M bracket is in the middle of the F-F mounts / bolts.

The problem i've got is get the Baader universal mount to sit firmly on the scope without any rotational slack.  I probably need to get the drill out and buy some new bolts!

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue. Tight on the mount foot loose on the baader scope dovetail . I had to insert shims 1mm each side on the baader scope dovetail. Then all finger tightens fine. I have spoken to the shop and the UK rep for Baader. Waiting for a call to discuss the problem. Unless it's me ! Always open to that option.

Ok spoke to Baader UK. Went back to where I bought it. It turned out to be the mount foot. They swapped it out and all fine. No shims, no looseness, and only needs to be finger tight. Now rock solid. Both the Wide Screen Centre and Baader UK have been first class in resolving this little issue. Huge thanks to them both.

Archived