NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Additional lenses

Hi - I am a ne owner of a Skywatcher 150P reflector, it came with - 25mm, 10mm & 2*barlow lenses.

Would a 6.5mm or a 4mm lense be worth investing in?

Thanks Pete

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Hello Pete,

yes, but two things to be aware of:

-Magnifications above 200 won't be usable all the Time due to Seeing, especially if the object is close to the horizon or above a warm house...

-Plössl eyepieces under 10mm have very short eye relief, Get a 6mm UWA or better yet a bst Explorer or hr Planetary, or Explore scientific ep...

Also you should consider a 2" wide angle eyepiece, it will Show so much more then the 25mm eyepiece you have.

For Deepsky, a eyepiece inbetween yours with 2-3mm Exit pupil is Handy, too.

A 6.5 should be useful, a 4mm will possibly produce a poor image - you would very likely need to buy a 4mm that was fairly good and so more costly. Thinl TV used to do one in a now discontinued line,

If you are looking at plossls then they may not be suitable, and the eye relief is minimal and can be uncomfortable. I would certainly advice against a 4mm plossl.

Usual initial upgrades are the BST Starguiders(£49) and the Celestron X-Cel's(£65), neither do a 6.5mm. The X-Cels do come in a 7mm.

There is another BST (Wide angle I think) that does come in 6mm, but so far not a lot reported on them, the Starguiders are simply the one most get. Others that may come in a good selection of focal lengths are the clones of the TMB planetary's - reasonable eyepieces but they do not perform as well as the X-Cels and the Starguiders. The "best" planetary I have heard of is the one from and branded TS.

You should be able to get quite a bit of use out of a 6.5mm with the 150P. As mentioned above a 5mm is a bit of a sweet spot in that scope when it comes to planetary/lunar view. On some occasions I've barlowed my 7mm to get 3.5mm but it's rarely possible to get good viewing from that.

With my 150p I use 5mm, 9mm & 25mm, as these cover planetary, lunar & DSO viewing well.

I still need to upgrade my 25mm, as it is the stock eyepiece, still not sure if to stay with a 25mm or go wider or both :-D

Hello Plodge, the 2" is the diameter of the eyepiece.

A 2" focuser can take 2" eyepieces and 1.25" with adapter or adaption.

2" eyepieces won't fit into a 1.25" focuser, and even with adapters the field will be limited due to the smaller tube.

A 1.25" 32mm 52 Degree eyepiece or a 40mm 40 degree eyepiece will show about the maximum field on 1.25".

With a 2" focuser you can use eyepieces with larger aparent field of view, for example 32mm 70 degree.

Archived