Evostar teardown

cowbell

Does anybody have a link or info on the teardown of an Evostar refractor?

Does the front lens cell just screw out?

I am thinking of flocking the tube inside as it is very low contrast and very gray looking, especially compared to my other optics that are very well baffled and painted and have much higher contrast views.

I believe the objective lens cell does unscrew from the tube with those. If you have the type with a collimatable lens cell, you can remove the section with the objective in it by unscrewing 3 of the push-pull collimation screws. You will need to re-collimate the scope if you do it this way.

I believe the objective lens cell does unscrew from the tube with those. If you have the type with a collimatable lens cell, you can remove the section with the objective in it by unscrewing 3 of the push-pull collimation screws. You will need to re-collimate the scope if you do it this way.

Hmm maybe I should get a pic of the lens cell. I did not see any way to collimiate the lens. Maybe it is tiny screws. I did see a notch on the cell ring, and it appeared it maybe be glued in place too, not sure.

Hmm maybe I should get a pic of the lens cell. I did not see any way to collimiate the lens. Maybe it is tiny screws. I did see a notch on the cell ring, and it appeared it maybe be glued in place too, not sure.

There were two versions of the Evostar 120, one with a collimatable objective lens cell and the other not. I think only the blue tube versions had the collimation feature.

I have the ED120 which has a non-collimatable lens cell. To get the objective off that I unscrew the dew shield (I think it slides up and off in the case of the Evostar 120) and then unscrew the whole objective lens cell assembly from the tube. It needs some care putting it back on again to make sure you don't cross the threads.

It's quite doable though, with the requisite care.

There were two versions of the Evostar 120, one with a collimatable objective lens cell and the other not. I think only the blue tube versions had the collimation feature.

I have the ED120 which has a non-collimatable lens cell. To get the objective off that I unscrew the dew shield (I think it slides up and off in the case of the Evostar 120) and then unscrew the whole objective lens cell assembly from the tube. It needs some care putting it back on again to make sure you don't cross the threads.

It's quite doable though, with the requisite care.

Thanks, this is the non ED version, stock Evostar 120, black tube with white focuser and white lens endbit

Archived