NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astroimaging on a budget

Hope this is the best forum to pose this question. As I have absolutely no experience in this subject, I welcome your points of view and recommendations.

Having viewed some of the comments regarding webcams and entry level astroimaging on this site, there appears to be about three de facto standard webcams which the "experts" recommend.

Creative pro ex

Logitech Quickcam 3000

Philips Toucam pro II

As as I understand it, at least two of these models have been superseded by more modern variants. My question is, which of these three models provides the best performance features and is there a more modern webcam which improves on their capabilities ?

I realise that there is more to good astro-photography than the camera, so in time will have further questions on the subject. Oh great, I hear you say !!

regards,

Oslo

The Toucam has been superceded by the Philips SPC900NC, this camera can quite easily be modified for longer exposures as well. You can DIY the modification or buy one ready modded quite cheaply.

It seems to be the favoured camera for budget astroimaging.

I would suggest if you have a tight budget checkout "Astronomiser", a quick google will find him.

I can't comment on the other two cams but i think the Logitech is Cmos chipped, (i might be wrong!!), but avoid Cmos as they are noisier than Ccd chipped cameras.

HTH

Dave.

Archived