NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First time noobie build (plans & dumb questions)

uncle-father

So I am interested in building a Newtonian, as it seems to be the easiest. But here's the deal with my build: it isn't going to be geared towards functionability, just the experienced gained behind building the thing. It will also be sub-$75 hopefully. So as this is my very first attempt, please don't mind the eye-rollingly dumb questions or ideas I may have.

So the plan is as follows...

Mirror:

100mm concave mirror. I know telescope mirrors have the relective coating on the outside, but in the interest of learning and sticking to budget, I would like to use this mirror. If there is anything more worthwhile, let me know.

Body:

Basic cardboard shipping tube.

Eyepiece:

Recycled old eyepieces from refractor type telescopes I have.

Focuser:

Retrofitted dial-type device from an old refractor telescope.

Stand:

Basic camera tripod.

So is it feasible to retrofit old reflector eyepieces and focusers to a Newtonian, or no? 

I appreciate the help you guys. Like I said, I don't plan on getting stellar results (ha-ha). I just want to learn the basic, underlying mechanics behind building a telescope before I dive headfirst into a more expensive build. I'll be using recycled or otherwise retrofitted parts I already have. Am I on the right track?

You are on the right track with most of what you list as they have already been designed for telescope use. However I think the mirror you have specified will not do your efforts justice, apart from not being a telescope mirror the focal length is far too short to be of use. By using the parts you already have, you should be able to buy a suitable mirror well within your suggested budget. You will also need a small flat mirror for the secondary.  Welcome to this forum.  :smiley:

Ok. So I was safe in my assumption that refractor focusers can be fit onto reflectors. I hate to sound like I'm asking to be spoon fed, but do you guys recommend any lower priced telescope mirrors? Thanks for the welcome, by the way. I hope to make it a good stay.

Sent from my ass

Archived