How does mine work ?

Hey ! I bought this telescope like 3 years ago but the guy didn't had a manual. I tried to look for it on the Internet but I couldn't find anything. I'm somehow starting to think mine is just a cheap thing that can't do anything but I hope you guys can help me. (Sorry for the photos but I'm on my iPad. You can change it if it's wrong)

This is my telescope. The sticker says:
Model: 70076 Telescope
Focal Length: 700mm
Diam: 76mm
Coated lens

CAM00281_zps98f07637.jpg

I also have some things that came with it, but I don't have a clue how to attack them to my telescope

CAM00280_zpsb8817a3b.jpg

I really hope I didn't bought a bad one and that people here know what I have

you could have bought worse

looks like you have a few lens, some extenders and possibly a Barlow lens
no idea on the model but you should be able to see Jupiter and of course the moon

the 3" is a pretty small scope so don't expect miracles from it
but use it until you can move on to something better

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your scope is very similar to one of the ones covered by these Skywatcher scope instructions:

http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/documents/145.pdf

Yours seems very much the same as the one called "Reflector / AZ 1".

The accessories supplied will vary a bit but you should be able to pick up what goes where from the instructions.

Hope that helps  :smiley:

Hello, with googling it I came up with this manual. 

http://www.vivitar.com/files_products/396/VIV-TEL-76700%20Manual.pdf

I don't know anything much about models, but I suspect that this is more of a general high street model as a beginners scope. No reason why you shouldn't get some descent observations though,

I'm sure a lot of others will give some good information for you.

the H ones seem to be lens's
the barlows go into the focuser and then the eye piece slots in 
the erecting pieces go between
but with a 3" /  700mm focal length you will not be able to use then all
as it will be beyond the scopes maximum magnification range
try the 20mm to centre jupiter then swap to the 12.5 and work down
your Barlow will double your lens power but mess with your focal length

Hi Langy, yeah I've found that one too but it really confused me and then I found this forum

@John, wow I finally know where the Barlow ones are for ! That's a huge step lol

Thanks ! That PDF is making me a little less confused about my scope

Wow, so many replies, thanks !

No problem  :smiley:

For astronomy use, don't bother with the erecting eyepieces - they will add errors into the image that don't need to be there. I would get used to using the scope with just the 20mm and 12.5mm eyepieces to start with.

I just went outside (I live in an apartment) and I could see a dot/star/satellite with the thing on top of the scope but when I put the 20mm on, I couldn't see anything.

I'm really a newbie in this. And considering the fact of not having money, I can't actually afford something expensive...

When you say you put the 20mm on, I take it you mean in the EP holder.

First thing is that you will need to align the finder scope with the main scope. This is best done in the daytime where you look at an object in the main scope at least half a mile away. Then look through the finder scope and adjust that scope until it lines up with the subject in the main scope. Double check as it is easy to nudge the main scope when doing this while adjusting.

When you get the finder scope lined up it should be fairly close as to what you will see in the main scope (after focusing) at night. You may need to do slight adjustments when out at night.

The best option is to test the scope in daytime, you will get more familiar with the scope and learn how everything works. Look for distant subjects of at least half a mile away, further if possible and check the finder scope alignment and test all the EP in the holder to see if they focus with the main focus wheels which drive the EP in or out from the main tube.

Oohhh thanks ! I hope I can fix it cause somehow I have the feeling where Jupiter should be

Stellarium said it should be to my west and there's always a bright dot in the sky

Archived