NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Think I've decided on my first telescope

After much research and deliberation, and a lot of help from users in this forum, I think i'm finally decided on my first scope. I've decided to put my photographic ambitions on hold for the time being and go for a 10" dobsonian.

I'm considering either:

Orion SkyQuest XT10g GOTO 

Orion SkyQuest XT10i  Intelliscope (Push To)

Anyone out there who can give advice one way or the other? What about the size - I'm happy with the dimensions & weight, but would these be a pain to collimate? Other similar scopes worth considering?

Cost is not a massive issue, and either way I will be able to buy a couple of decent EPs to go with it.

Thanks in advance,

After much research and deliberation, and a lot of help from users in this forum, I think i'm finally decided on my first scope. I've decided to put my photographic ambitions on hold for the time being and go for a 10" dobsonian.
I'm considering either:
Orion SkyQuest XT10g GOTO 
Orion SkyQuest XT10i  Intelliscope (Push To)
Anyone out there who can give advice one way or the other? What about the size - I'm happy with the dimensions & weight, but would these be a pain to collimate? Other similar scopes worth considering?
Cost is not a massive issue, and either way I will be able to buy a couple of decent EPs to go with it.
Thanks in advance,

I see you're in London. Will you be able to take the scope out to a dark sky sight?

Either of those two scopes are very capable.  The previous post makes a good point about travel to a dark site.  This scope http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-250px-flextube-goto.html is similar, but the tube collapses to make it more transportable.

Many (but not everyone) find that after getting used to collimation, it's a non issue. If you are a DIY sort, used to basic tool handling, it will be a non issue for you.

All the best in your choice, Ed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually about 25 miles out of london, and within easy reach (10 mins drive) of countryside - presumably as dark as most poeple can manage these days!

Hi Veil

If you're happy that either will provide a similar viewing experience and the choice is down to whether it is push-to or goto, then perhaps the goto option may afford you more fun and satisfaction in the long run.  

With the XT10g you can of course push-to as well as goto, so perhaps the best of both worlds.

Good luck

Archived