Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balancing my ZEQ25 in R.A.

I'm going through the process of sorting the zero point on my new ZEQ25 and that all seems fine. But when I go to balance the scope in R.A. and I place it towards the zero point, it always swings to the left (if looking from behind) slightly, no matter where I place the counterweight. Now obviously, if I lock the locks, it's fine and I don't think there's much in it, but do I need to worry about this and does anyone have any ideas why it's doing this?

If you have a finder scope on your OTA or any other accessories that are on one side more than the other, it can create an unbalance when you are at zero position and you have such smooth bearings as we do on the ZEQ.  If you hang on to the OTA so it doesn't swing wildly and allow it to move you will see that  it will maintain balance when parallel with the ground.  If you find that is true, look no further than simply more weight on one side of the OTA.

Clear skies

Ah - sounds like nothing to worry about too much. It does fall to the side my quickfinder's on, and also I have a feathertouch focuser and the planetary reduction knob's on that side too, so perhaps things as small as that make the difference?

I roughly polar aligned it on Wednesday night and it worked like a dream, so I'll just accept it!

Archived