NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is this called?

jetstream

Last night in my reflector I saw some things that I don't know the names of in Jupiter.The main one was a big spot,with a reddish band forming a circle around a whitish center.It was on the lower main band(in my newt),on the top,going from right to left.According to Starry Night the GRS was coming behind it a ways,but it was on the other band.The structure would be gone,when the GRS would be visible.Starry Night shows this with a blue spot on one end,that I did not see.So what is this thing called?and what is it?

Thats the oval BA Gerry otherwise known as Red Spot Jnr. :)

I checked it out and this thing is in the wrong location to be junior,on the other band.I wish I could send the picture off Starry Night.I wonder if anyone uses this program over there?can't draw either,hmmm hook,loop,barge or festoon?I gotta learn the lingo

Hi jetstream,

Can you 'post' or draw a picture of it? sounds interesting!  :shocked:

(could be the forming of a Jovian jetstream - I apologies...

...I could not resist it)!  :grin:

I knew as I wrote this post there would be some good ones coming!good one.Very interesting sight though,first time seen for me.Whatever it was its big.will look tonight if its not snowing... :smiley:

Alpo Japan is probably the best place to cross check your observations and theres a whole world of info on the Jupiter section of the BAA website which may help you understand a lot more about what you are actually seeing.

Thanks for the great links,now I'm searching....it will be great to describe what a person see's with a bit of accuracy! :grin:

Those sites and pictures are going to be a great help to me,pretty excited to learn-the other nights views in the Delos/ortho was great. Polar cap shading,banding and all those ruffles and ripples on the main bands-and this other thing too...I wonder if some of this stuff comes and goes?I've had other good views before,but the other night gave up some new things,inspiring.My seeing is usually not good,so I focus on DSO

Those sites and pictures are going to be a great help to me,pretty excited to learn-the other nights views in the Delos/ortho was great. Polar cap shading,banding and all those ruffles and ripples on the main bands-and this other thing too...I wonder if some of this stuff comes and goes?I've had other good views before,but the other night gave up some new things,inspiring.My seeing is usually not good,so I focus on DSO

Yep Jupiter is always changing, maybe not overnight but from season to season there are huge changes that you'll notice visually....but only if you know what your actually looking at. :)

Archived