LP filter when RGB imaging

Hi,

I am going to try some RGB imaging with a newly acquired mono CCD camera, my question is, I have the Meade RGB filters which I understand do not have IR cut built in, maybe someone can confirm this, if so do i need an IR block filter on all the time when imaging, and an LP filter??

So there would be 2 filters permanently on the camera and then the RGB filters one at a time ??

Seems a lot of filters

MM

Hi,

I am going to try some RGB imaging with a newly acquired mono CCD camera, my question is, I have the Meade RGB filters which I understand do not have IR cut built in, maybe someone can confirm this, if so do i need an IR block filter on all the time when imaging, and an LP filter??

So there would be 2 filters permanently on the camera and then the RGB filters one at a time ??

Seems a lot of filters

MM

Hi,

You need the IR for sure for the red but the other two do not pass any IR wave  through so it can stay on all the time if you wish, I tried m106 the other night with Astronomik RGB filters and an LP filter ( IDAS P2 ) and I am not sure about the results, my capture is really short on the REDs and until I  try it without the LP filter I can not say for sure what the cause is, a waste of nearly 4 hours of clear sky, you can just leave the IR filter on for all of them.

Regards,

A.G

Hi,

You need the IR for sure for the red but the other two do not pass any IR wave  through so it can stay on all the time if you wish, I tried m106 the other night with Astronomik RGB filters and an LP filter ( IDAS P2 ) and I am not sure about the results, my capture is really short on the REDs and until I  try it without the LP filter I can not say for sure what the cause is, a waste of nearly 4 hours of clear sky, you can just leave the IR filter on for all of them.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks for that

I suppose if I got an CLS CCD LP filter that has the IR block, then that could just be left on all the time, and one less filter to worry about?

Or even better I have 2 full sets of the meade imaging filters with slides, I could sell both of them and purchase a set with built in IR like you have, the AStronomik version.

MM

Thanks for that

I suppose if I got an CLS CCD LP filter that has the IR block, then that could just be left on all the time, and one less filter to worry about?

Or even better I have 2 full sets of the meade imaging filters with slides, I could sell both of them and purchase a set with built in IR like you have, the AStronomik version.

MM

CLS is a fine filter, I reprocessed the data from the other night and there is red in there it just took a lot of effort abd processing  to bring it out. You could also consider the Baader LRGB set, just as good but I think they are slighly cheaper.

A.G

Archived