Mini EQ Mount

jgs001

After my good night the other night, I've found the flaw in using the camera tripod. I got to see Saturn at 160x but I could only watch as it shot through the FOV. I'm looking into a number of possibilities for alternate mounts. One of the requirments is that it be small enough to pack away for taking camping etc. Thus I'm looking at the <a href=http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=EQ1tabletopMount_Motor>Mini EQ</a> mount. My question here is, does this have an attachment at the bottom for mounting this on top of a normal photo tripod ? i.e. instead of using the three screw in legs. The Tripod I'm using is pretty sturdy and was fine for the view of Saturn, when I could see it in the FOV.

The extra bonus of the Mini EQ mount is that I could mount my digicam on it easily...

Yep I have one.. the tripod closes down to about 24", the head itself is around 11" X 7". Even with batteries I can lift it easily and I cant lift heavy weights.

I would say its definatly portable enough to pack into a rucksack.

Just one thing though, its not an EQ mount but a powered alt az.

For a true EQ mount something like the orion mini EQ would be the answer.. they can be picked up for around £50 if you shop around.

Ian, Thanks for the info. Is it able to track effectively even though it's an AltAz ?

Edit: Just found this on FLO, should have read it more thoroughly :D

Multi-Speed (1x, 4x & 8x Sidereal Rate) Automatic Astronomical Tracking

My question here is, does this have an attachment at the bottom for mounting this on top of a normal photo tripod ? i.e. instead of using the three screw in legs. The Tripod I'm using is pretty sturdy and was fine for the view of Saturn, when I could see it in the FOV.

The extra bonus of the Mini EQ mount is that I could mount my digicam on it easily...

I'm pretty sure that these can be mounted on a standard camera tripod. Here's a few comments on it from users over at Amazon US:

I purchased this mount for photographic uses and not telescope or astro uses. That being said, it is a very nice mount for the money. It is small, of durable construction, and rapidly assembled. It does take a 1/4-20 thread in its base so it can be attached to tripods with that type screw (a common photo tripod size).

HTH

Neon, Thanks. Here's some info I got from elsewhere:

"Notice the knurled plastic bolt underneath.

It is basically an EQ1, bolted atop that little tripod - it seperates by undoing that bolt. So it will be easy to mount on top of a standard small synta tripod.

As for a standard tripod - well the thread doesn't match the standard 1/4 inch tripod bush - it's a bit bigger.

3/8" maybe? but don't quote me on that.

If you are lucky - maybe you can remove the normal bolt from your tripod, and use that knurled one instead ???"

Archived