NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good ccd??

Skooby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH - I would initially buy an astro modified CCD from cheapastrophotography:

http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/

This would start you off with postprocessing, which is the by far harder skill to learn than imaging. There's a lot of expensive gear in use producing rather mediocre images because people don't really know how to handle their data. I think rather than pushing people towards more and more expensive gear, we should help more on the postprocessing side until people see how far they can take their setup. I still think that jumping in at the deep end is counter productive. Beautiful images have been processed from normally priced setups.

Steve Richards has been mentioned. Can I add Lodriguss' guide to DSLR AP?

That's just my 50p worth...

;)

TBH - I would initially buy an astro modified CCD from cheapastrophotography:

http://m.cheapastrophotography.vpweb.co.uk/

This would start you off with postprocessing, which is the by far harder skill to learn than imaging. There's a lot of expensive gear in use producing rather mediocre images because people don't really know how to handle their data. I think rather than pushing people towards more and more expensive gear, we should help more on the postprocessing side until people see how far they can take their setup. I still think that jumping in at the deep end is counter productive. Beautiful images have been processed from normally priced setups.

Steve Richards has been mentioned. Can I add Lodriguss' guide to DSLR AP?

That's just my 50p worth...

;)

You are quite right, but I  also think that the most important aspect of this AP buisness, forgetting the skill bit and the equipment for a moment, is the quality of the local sky. No amount of equipment or processing skill can compensate for light polluted sky with bad seeing. I have seen stunning images of the DSOs taken by quite accessible equipment from true dark sites and with what we would call short data. There is no substitute for a true dark site.

A.G

Archived