NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How much Chromatic Aberration to expect in your bins?

Hi all, I'm curious if I've got an acceptable amount of CA in my bins and would welcome any comparisons to my Ipticron Imagics 10x50's:

I pick up an outline halo of red yellow and blue when looking at the moon; prominent at the rim. Also when looking at Jupiter and Venus there is a blue aberration at one edge. I wouldn't say it is really too much and doesn't reduce my enjoyment but curious if most bins would be subject to that amount of CA.

Thanks

Kevin

never looked through any of the really high end bins Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski,  But every other pair I have looked through have shown it to a greater or lesser degree. The minox I have now  have almost none but they were quite expensive whilst the pentax xf I had to give away as they had so much ca. So from my admittedly limited experience with bins I would suggest it is to some extent a function of price the more you pay the better corrected.

Hi, I have the Williams Optics 10x50EDs the "ED" of which tends to be debated along with other similar binos. There is visible CA on the rim of bright objects like the moon but its fairly pale (for want of a better word) and not especially obtrusive - to me. CA tends to bother some people more than others. I suppose if you look for it and your eyes are drawn to it - it becomes an issue. (A bit like HIFI buffs spending more time listening for distortion, than enjoying the music?) I find the more valuable aspect of my 10x50s is the lack of flare on brighter objects.

Archived