NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SX CoStar or the QHY5ll.....same camera different price!!

Hi,

The above two cameras are as far as I can see exactly the same, so why the £75 difference in price?

Is there something other than the sensor that puts a higher price tag on the new Starlight Express CoStar, both have a CMOS sensor, look so liar apart from colour, so am confused

Olly

Hi,

The above two cameras are as far as I can see exactly the same, so why the £75 difference in price?

Is there something other than the sensor that puts a higher price tag on the new Starlight Express CoStar, both have a CMOS sensor, look so liar apart from colour, so am confused

Olly

Similar

Hi,

Olly

I don't have either but going by what SX have been producing and in one a , word build quality and for sure better drivers . I use an ASI 120MM which is more in with the SX in price but with a more sensitive sensor.

Regards,

A.G

I don't have either but going by what SX have been producing and in one a , word build quality and for sure better drivers . I use an ASI 120MM which is more in with the SX in price but with a more sensitive sensor.

Regards,

A.G

You use it for guiding? As I asked this on another thread, whether to go for the ASI120mm or the ASI130mm because of the larger sensor on the latter one, I only want for guiding and not for any imaging of any sort.

Regards

Olly

You use it for guiding? As I asked this on another thread, whether to go for the ASI120mm or the ASI130mm because of the larger sensor on the latter one, I only want for guiding and not for any imaging of any sort.

Regards

Olly

Yes I use the ASI for both guiding and imaging, for guiding I use a 50mm finder for the short apos and a 60 mm finder for the longer scopes, mono is super sensitive and the drivers worked out of the box, it has an ST4 port for guiding but I use PHD guiding with a normal camera USB connection, before the Mono I used the aSI 120 colour and didn't have any problems finding guide stars part of the sky that I have imaged so far.

Regards,

A.G

Not sure about the QHY5II but I've got the QHY5 & the CoStar. From experience the CoStar is more sensitive & has a wider FOV than the QHY5 (not sure about the II). The drivers for the CoStar seem more stable & it also works with a Mac (If thats important to you). If I had to choose one it'd be the CoStar, I use it in an OAG now and I've also used it on an ST80 & a finder/guider setup. Been using it for a couple of years or so now on the Obsy setup & it's rock solid.

The QHY5 does a good job but as I do 99% of my imaging remotely I found it a pain when for no apparent reason it seemed to lock up now and again. Quite often unplugging & reconnecting would sort it but sometimes it needed a reboot to clear. I put it down to driver stability, so it's only used on my portable rig now. That's my personal experience anyway.

Not sure about the QHY5II but I've got the QHY5 & the CoStar. From experience the CoStar is more sensitive & has a wider FOV than the QHY5 (not sure about the II). The drivers for the CoStar seem more stable & it also works with a Mac (If thats important to you). If I had to choose one it'd be the CoStar, I use it in an OAG now and I've also used it on an ST80 & a finder/guider setup. Been using it for a couple of years or so now on the Obsy setup & it's rock solid.

The QHY5 does a good job but as I do 99% of my imaging remotely I found it a pain when for no apparent reason it seemed to lock up now and again. Quite often unplugging & reconnecting would sort it but sometimes it needed a reboot to clear. I put it down to driver stability, so it's only used on my portable rig now. That's my personal experience anyway.

Thanks for that,

I had similar problems with an old meade DSI I used for guiding, when working it was superb, bit very often disconnected for no reason, or would not connect at all.

I am leaning towards the CoStar, even though it is £75 more that the new QHY5ll, and has exactly the same sensor, stability is an issue I would want to overcome, sound like I could jump from frying pan to fire with the QHY5ll.

Regards

Olly

Archived