Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG-5 vs AVX mounts

neil groves

I was about to go to the NEQ6 then read it takes much longer to set up and put away than the Celestrons, is the AVX worth the extra $300 over the earlier CG-5, which is the easiest to polar align and what are the main differences if anyone knows please? I intend to use it with a Canon 5D, Canon 70-200L f4 and an ED80 Orion scope.....

Neil.

The New AVX has a larger load capacity and is better for imaging than the older CG-5 (which I found very noisy too when I had it).

The build quality and the tracking motors of the AVX also seems to be much better than the old CG-5.

The CG-5 is not a bad Mount by any means. I just found it very noisy and the wires could easily get entangled (also something they have done better with the AVX).

So yes. If you can afford it, then I would definitely go for the AVX and not the old CG-5 model.

But why stepping away from the N EQ6? Other than that it´s much heavier (tho tripod is the same as the AVX), I don´t see why it would take that much longer to set up?

in and out

that was just I read in some reviews regarding the NEQ6.

how easy is it to polar align the AVX?

Neil.

AVX is very well engineered and built, I have no idea what they mean by the difficulty of setting up an NEQ6 as all EQ mounts are a pain to set up if like me you have to take the mount in and out every time. NEQ6 is certainly not a light mount and perhaps it is better suited to an obsy but it is by no means untransportable. You can spend  10 minutes on PA or spend a whole night doint it, depends how much time you have on your  hands, I have marked the position of the legs and once PA is done it takes 15 minutes to tweak the PA after each set up, other than that if you have an obsy then it is time  done job.

Regards,

A.G

Archived