Disabled stargazer

I agree with the comment of the gymnastics needed when using a Newtonian with an EQ mount. My SCT is fine on an EQ mount due to both the short tube length and easy rotation of the diagonal, but a Newtonian requires contortions. Right-angle correct-image (RACI) finders are also a must if you have to take care of your back. I equipped my SCT with a big RACI finder and never want to do without.

My Celestron Travel scope 70 came with a RACI which i use on my SCT (using a piece from a £100 scope on a £2000 scope.......go figure). I personally wouldnt be without it as i do like to observe thing as i am able to see them with the naked eye. I like to see the Moon as it is. I like to see Nebulae as they are etc etc.

So, as i said............i'm not convinced that anything on an EQ mount is the right set-up for you Neil. The Dob (if you can deal with it), is the way to go.

A long shot, but maybe save a bit more and go for the 8SE?. It will serve you better in the long run. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. Better to save a little longer and buy a Scope (SCT) you going to use, then go for a 8inch dob and end up not using it.

I would sincerly advice you to check out a store or Club that has an 8inch dob, so you can see for yourself and judge you can haul that thing around, without hurting yourself.

Here are also some vids about the 200p: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=skywatcher+skyliner+200p+dobsonian+&sm=1

Gives you an impression of the size, height and weight.  The tube weights about 10kg and the base about 15kg.

For comparison. The 8SE weights 10kg total. 5kg for the OTA and 5kg for the tripod.

And if 500 really "is" Your final Budget, you can have a look at this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/skywatcher-skymax-127-synscan-az-goto.html

It's a Nice little scope, Complete With GoTo. Very popular. Many People on these forums that have this one and are happy with it. People among them that did even some nice planetary imaging with a webcam.

It's only 359,- at FLO, leaving you with spare cash to get some extra Eyepieces and a more suitable finder.

If you call FLO, I am sure he can make a nice deal for you, with a better finder (like a Rigel) and some extra suitable EP's.

PS. And if you are not interested in GoTo, you could also check this one out. It has much better optics, the Mount can later be upgraded With tracking motors if you want to.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/omni-xlt-series/celestron-omni-xlt-127.html

Again.... give FLO a Call and I am sure he will be able to make a deal with you here too, to change the finder to a more suitable one, etc.

Hi All

Thank you for all the information, advice and links to videos, shops and telescopes.

I will probably go for either the Skywatcher Skymax 127 synscan AZ GOTO or the Celestron Omni XLT 127, leaning towards the Celestron. The reason being less weight, portability and will take up less room in the house. Never in a million years did I ever think about a Maksutov-Cassegrain or a Schmidt-Cassegrain as I  used to think that biggest was best, under normal circumstances this is probably correct, but due to my disabilities this is not a possible option.

At a later date, I will be able to upgrade the Celestron with a tracking system as mentioned by Guillermo from Norway.

I will visit a telescope showroom before buying to have a look at these scopes and to ask questions and to get a feel for them. I will post my views at a later date, once I have purchased a scope and to let you know how things are working out.

Thanks

Neil

Both 5" scopes mentioned are very nice. The SCT will have the edge on slightly wider DSOs compared to the mak, due to the shorter focal length. The Mak does have a reputation for punching above its weight on planets (it has a smaller central obstruction than the SCT, as I recall). In principle, the SCT could also be put on an alt-az mount (which is easier to set up).

Personally i am weary of this 5" SCT mentioned above, as it is on an EQ mount and includes counter weights etc. Overall it is a lot heavier/bulkier then the Mak. Can the SCT (OTA) be bought without the tripod/mount?. If so, could you then buy an AZ4 to mount it?

That would be a nice set-up if it works.

The counterweights are only 1,8Kg each. The OTA weights less than 3 Kg. So it´s not as bad as you think.

If we are talking about a Mount like the Advanced VX, With 2inch steel tripod and 5Kg counterweights. Yes. Then things get a little different. :cool:

Technical Details:

OPTICAL DESIGN:
 Schmidt-Cassegrain 

APERTURE:
 127 mm (5 in) 

FOCAL LENGTH:
 1250 mm (49.21 in) 

FOCAL RATIO:

EYEPIECE:
 25 mm (0.98 in) 

MAGNIFICATION:
 50 x 

FINDERSCOPE:
 6x30 

OPTICAL COATINGS:
 StarBright XLT 

MOUNT:
 Omni CG-4 Equatorial 

TRIPOD LEGS:
 1.75" Stainless 

COUNTERWEIGHTS:
 7lbs (3.2 kg) and 4lbs (1.8 kg) 

HIGHEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION:
 300 x 

LOWEST USEFUL MAGNIFICATION:
 18 x 

LIMITING STELLAR MAGNITUDE:

RESOLUTION:
 1.1 arc seconds 

RESOLVING POWER:
 0.91 arc seconds 

LIGHT GATHERING POWER:
 329 x 

ANGULAR FIELD OF VIEW:
 1 ° 

LINEAR FIELD OF VIEW:
 (@1000 YDS): 53 ft (16.15m)

OPTICAL TUBE LENGTH:
 11 in (279.4 mm) 

OPTICAL TUBE WEIGHT:
 6.5 lb (2.95 kg) 

EQ MOUNT WEIGHT:
 21 lb (9.53 kg) 

TRIPOD WEIGHT:
 12.5 lb (5.67 kg) 

WEIGHT:
 40 lb (18.14 kg)

By my reckoning (and the details above), the combined weight of the SCT on the EQ mount/tripod = 40lbs.

That is not what i would consider light,and i'm a big strapping lad. I am thinking more though about the EQ mount and the funny positions it can get into and Neil's condition and bending the neck and back. You dont get this with an Alt-Az mount.

By my reckoning (and the details above), the combined weight of the SCT on the EQ mount/tripod = 40lbs.

That is not what i would consider light,and i'm a big strapping lad. I am thinking more though about the EQ mount and the funny positions it can get into and Neil's condition and bending the neck and back. You dont get this with an Alt-Az mount.

And what is the combined weight of the 200p dob? which People kept recommending in this thread?

The fact is, that the Mount and the SCT can be transported in much more managable pieces (if needed), then the 200p dob (10kg + 15kg).

The 127 XLT OTA only weights 2,98Kg. So he only needs to use the single 3kg counterweight. (that Picture is just a marketing pic showing what you get, which includes both counterweights)

So the entire Mount+SCT with just the single counterweight weights only 1kg more then the dob base of the 200p.

Another huge difference (when having lower back and knee problems), is that he can carry around the Mount in an upright position at all times (without having to bend through knees or back), which is definitely not the case with a dob.

And the EQ Mount is not a problem with an SCT (or refractor for that matter), as you can just rotate the diagonal to avoid any "funny" positions.

I think you are mixing up with a Newtonian, as yes, those can definitely end up in funny positions.

As A Disabled Stargazer myself  with COPD Neil, I use my perching stool always perfect for our needs,

My 250 Dob gives me fantastic views and is not too heavy to move around, I made a dolly with 4" wheels to haul it around on,  My 6" Refractor is also usable with the perching stool, on a EQ5 mount, Extended fully :smiley:,  Maybe the 200 Dob would suit you better Neil, You will find them more suitable for or type of needs once you have got used to nudging them around :grin: ,  They are big gathering light buckets giving you more apture for less money than a similar size newtonian scope.

If you decide to get a Dob then I would recommend getting a lazyboy bearing to swivel your Dob on It will make nudging the scope so easy for you,

Feel free to contact me if you want any other tips Neil!.           

And what is the combined weight of the 200p dob? which People kept recommending in this thread?

The fact is, that the Mount and the SCT can be transported in much more managable pieces (if needed), then the 200p dob (10kg + 15kg).

The 127 XLT OTA only weights 2,98Kg. So he only needs to use the single 3kg counterweight. (that Picture is just a marketing pic showing what you get, which includes both counterweights)

So the entire Mount+SCT with just the single counterweight weights only 1kg more then the dob base of the 200p.

Another huge difference (when having lower back and knee problems), is that he can carry around the Mount in an upright position at all times (without having to bend through knees or back), which is definitely not the case with a dob.

And the EQ Mount is not a problem with an SCT (or refractor for that matter), as you can just rotate the diagonal to avoid any "funny" positions.

I think you are mixing up with a Newtonian, as yes, those can definitely end up in funny positions.

I cant argue with this. A 200mm DOB certainly was not my first choice (depending on how able-bodied the OP is). Yes, EQ mounts can be transported in pieces and assembled on site. Which is fine (if not a pain in the behind). To be honest, yes you can rotate the EP on SCT,Fracs so as not have to bend knees,arch back etc. I kind of forgot about that as i did not use my EQ/Frac combo much.

I have and only can talk about my personal experience (as a wheelchair user) and the scopes i have used. I cant/dont/wont compare my disability to anyone else's as we are all different. 

For me personally, the EQ mount (i bought with my 1st scope) was a complete pain in the behind to both transport and use. Since then i have learned that i am more comfortasble with Alt-Az. 

I do also have a 5" Heritage DOB, which works brilliantly for me as i can pick it up with one hand and move it about.

So the 5" SCT on an EQ mount is back on the books for Neil. If it is something he can manage.

For me the biggest issue is weight/portability. 

I have found my happy medium with the Celestron 8se. Big aperture+low weight and i could afford it.

I cant argue with this. A 200mm DOB certainly was not my first choice (depending on how able-bodied the OP is). Yes, EQ mounts can be transported in pieces and assembled on site. Which is fine (if not a pain in the behind). To be honest, yes you can rotate the EP on SCT,Fracs so as not have to bend knees,arch back etc. I kind of forgot about that as i did not use my EQ/Frac combo much.

I have and only can talk about my personal experience (as a wheelchair user) and the scopes i have used. I cant/dont/wont compare my disability to anyone else's as we are all different. 

For me personally, the EQ mount (i bought with my 1st scope) was a complete pain in the behind to both transport and use. Since then i have learned that i am more comfortasble with Alt-Az. 

I do also have a 5" Heritage DOB, which works brilliantly for me as i can pick it up with one hand and move it about.

So the 5" SCT on an EQ mount is back on the books for Neil. If it is something he can manage.

For me the biggest issue is weight/portability. 

I have found my happy medium with the Celestron 8se. Big aperture+low weight and i could afford it.

You are absolutely right Luke!

When you are in a wheelchair, then Alt-Az Mounts like the SE GoTo and AZ GoTo seris are fantastic Scopes.

As you could see in that post I also recommended this type of Scope.

The only reason I added the Omni XLT 127 to the list, was that the optics are better than the Mak (XLT coatings) and it´s a better alround Scope (Shorter focal length).

Hence the price difference.

He then also has the option to add another Scope (like small refractor, larger SCT, etc) to his Collection later on, without having to buy a new Mount.

It just annoys me a bit (and this is not directed at you, but at others) that people here just don´t read the actual OP, the conditions he has and keep on recommending a 200p dobsonian! Just because THEY like a dob (I guess I am stepping on a toe against the dob brigade on these forums), instead of advising a scope that "really" is best suited to him.

Archived