NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a little bit of cloud dodging, the moon and Jupiter

AlexB67

So it's been some time to get a bit of a session under the belt.  Tonight was the first night to try the new ( old )  TV Radian 6mm. Given the clouds and variable weather recently I wanted a scope that cooled as quickly as possible, so gave the Heritage 130p a little run with this eyepiece and the skywatcher 6mm UWA along for company.

First impressions of this eyepiece left me very impressed indeed.

For some time I studied the Kepler and Enke Craters, features down to about 5 - 10  miles across, the screenshot does not do it justice in terms of what you sea at the eyepiece, but this area is well worth a look, some lovely shadows this evening to bring out the finer features.

Despite the clouds it seemed rather clear and steady at 108 mag.  I also briefly popped in the 6mm UWA, the views in the Radian seemed that bit crisper, and better contrast too.  To be fair to the cheap SW UWA though, perhaps I did not try hard enough in this first session and time will tell, but all the features were discernible in the Skywatcher eyepiece too,  albeit that tiny bit less crisp, harder on the eye to bring out those extra little warts and crinkles on the lunar surface.  I had a tough time getting the missus away form the Radian eyepiece during the lunar session. !

It seems to me that the skywatcher is that lit bit more colour neutral versus the Radian with a slightly warmer sultry tone, but somehow I like it more, a purely subjective preference,  I like my warm colour tints as it happens !

Onto Jupiter, it has been a while since I used the heritage on Jupiter, I should mention that the differences that can be seen in a 10 inch Dob compared to a 5 inch Dob in terms of planetary detail is significant, that said, the views were still very pleasant, neither eyepiece is to blame here for the lack in detail between such scopes. 

In comparison to the SW  6mm, the Radian came into its own here, over longer periods I was able to discern that bit more detail on the bands compared to the SW 6mm UWA, but the fine detail that I see in my 10 inch Dob is simply not there. Dispite that, the Radian was notably a bit darker in the background, the bands more colourful and better contrast versus more of a washed out view in the SW UWA. In moments of clear seeing I was able to make out several of the bands in the radian clearly, in the skywatcher this was somewhat  harder work over time, and overall less aesthetically pleasing.  Off axis too, details started to fall apart in the SW notably versus the radian, but with the Radian  performance seemed pretty constant to me. At times I was  fighting changes in seeing conditions, more time is needed  to make a proper judegement.

I found the Radian very easy to manage for eye comfort, no blackouts or kidney beans after couple of clicks on the adjustable top. I was up and running very quickly. Using the SW 6mm I have to be slightly above the rubber eyecup to prevent blackouts, since the eyecup has no height adjustment. I don't see a need for a pupil guide whatsoever on the Radian, I find it easy on the eye, the missus did not have any issue with it either.

The FOV difference of 66 degrees in the SW is quite noticeable compared to 60 degrees of the Radian, but I find it plenty anyway, and I never use the outer edges of the FOV in the SW eyepiece anyway in my scopes. To be fair to the SW It does offer that 66 degrees it seems, unlike some offering that sometimes offer less to what they market.

Only one test so far,  more time will be needed to make a better assessment of what I think is going to be magnificent eyepiece, suffice it to say I am a happy camper indeed. :smiley:

Things learned tonight

• It is great to be out there again under the sky.
  • The heritage is still a fantastic scope for lunar observing, the planets don't suck either.
  • The radian is very impressive in the 5 inch heritage and lived up to what I hoped it would be so far.
  • The SW UWA 66 degree 6mm for 30 pounds, it is not bad at all for the money. Though yet to be tested. I feel confident in saying that for viewing planets like Jupiter, the SW 6mm in the 10 inch Dob will provide more seeing than the radian in the 5 inch Heritage, no eyepiece can beat the shortcoming in resolution of the larger mirror wen you have a jump in aperture that size. not a surprise.
  • I am hungry and need my much too late dinner.

Can't wait to slap the radian into the 10 inch Dob if is clear later.

Clear skies :)

post-30537-0-76172300-1392064709_thumb.p

Yep, just in from cloud dodging.

Got stuck on Jupiter with the GRS transit. Very clear surrounds and a long clear area in the belt ahead of the GRS. Lovely sight , used a x2 Barlow 10mm Hyperion and a 9mm ortho. The seeing although very good varied from minute to minute when teasing out details.

I find it more rewarding and relaxing to keep both eyes open when observing, but pull down the bobble hat rakishly over one eye,

Nick.

Clouding and haze now though, no chance to try the radian in the 10 inch yet. 

I always have both eyes open when observing, at first it did not appear that natural, but now it is, but it is very easy to switch off that right eye of mine, the left one is dominant, the right one is a bit of a sleepy head, so it is very easy to focus with the left through the eyepiece and ignore what is entering the right eye :0)

Great report, Alex and thank you for sharing. Although I finished work late - my normal hours - and missed the GRS transit it's a clear night. But I'm just too exhausted to head out and know my heart won't be into it.

It's curious you guys view with your eyes open. I use a homemade pirate's eye patch that I recall Jules (Nightfisher) once saying looked like a tanga :grin: It's pink and black. I have tried experimenting with the open-eye view but just didn't get on with it, although my eye is - more of less - open inside the patch.

Look forward to another report soon, Alex on how your Radian feels with the 10". On a night of good seeing, I reckon it's going to blow your socks off when viewing jupiter.

Great report Alex, the differences between the really high end eyepieces and the standard MA are certainly noticeable, but not what their respective prices suggest, perhaps.

Over here, there is quite a lot of high cloud around and perhaps a bit late to start stargazing for me now (although I've just done a bit with the binoculars through the window), I did get some lunar observing done yesterday. What strikes me is just how interesting it is to observe at the terminator, especially at magnifications that don't allow you to view the whole Moon in the FOV, it doesn't feel restricted, it feels like you are closer somehow. It also seems to cut down the brightness somewhat - as I have noticed Lunar observing is seriously affecting my vision (so bright I get a purple haze for about 30 seconds afterwards if I use any less than 100x with my 10" dob).

Archived