Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astromaster MD Query?

I've bought and installed the MD on my Astromaster 130EQ. Got to say it may not be anywhere as good as the expensive systems that a lot of users have, but it works great allowing me to track an object with minor adjustments.

So last night a bit of clear skies after midnight thought I would try and image the moon with the webcam. Here came the first issue was that the MD casing was in the way of the DEC connector. Nice easy solution I just removed the case and carefully monitored where the connector was going so I didn't wreck the PCB. So after half hour or so thought I would have a go at Jupiter. Went to swing the scope around and now the PCB was in the way, Swung the scope round to the other side to the weights were over the MD and then the RA clutch bolt was hitting the DEC circle. So I had to remove the bolt to allow me to view Jupiter where with a bit of fiddling about I managed to get it in the WebCam frame and it tracked very well.

Now I know it's cheap and getting in the way may be one of those things you have to live with, but it got me thinking on if it could be modified to work better.

I'm after thoughts and solutions to the way it connects to the actual RA shaft. What made me think about an alternative connection was the type of angular connectors you get with a socket set. I was thinking that if you had something similar the MD could then be mounted lower down and then angled up.

Has anyone come across a possible solution?

It's something I can live with but if I found a cheap and easy way around the issue then I'd be most interested in maybe having a go.

I seem to remember something like this when I first tried mine ( now gone to a new home ). The way I got around it was to put the DEC cable facing forwards from the mount so that it lies just under the focuser. Just swing the top of the mount through 180° before you put the OTA on.

Not only is it easier to find the DEC cable there when looking through the eyepiece, but it doesn't keep hitting the motor drive either.

BTW, have you noticed that with the supplied kit you have to set the motor for South when you are in the Northern Hemisphere!!! :shocked:

hope this helps,

Alan

Yes I did notice that Alan, very strange setting for south and north.

I did have a thought about swinging the mount round 180 today.

Unless I can find something to work at an angle it will certainly be something I have to live with.

Most things you can get around, but if it means observing a certain object at a different time or even just remove the motor if I really needed to then it will just be something I have to live with on a cheap scope setup.

I'm just please to be able to see such distant objects, so not expecting miracles.

Thanks for the reply.

If I remember correctly the top of the mount just clears the motor drive when the DEC cable is forward, so it should not cause you any problems if you try it that way. However, later on the OTA will hit the motor if you don't put it the other side of the mount :laugh: !!

all the best,

Alan

Archived