Good places in Midlothian

I am waiting for my first telescope to arrive hopefully before this weekend and wondered if there were any gazers near Midlothian/Edinburgh that had some good spots they've used?

I am totally new to this and unsure what land I can and can't pull up a chair in and look above. As far as I can tell I can use fields so long as there are no signs of crops growing though I am hesitant to do this, don't fancy having an argument with a farmer over land laws while he points a shotgun at me lol!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I don't think that I would go setup in a farmers field without asking him first. You may find a car park somewhere nice and dark, like picnic sites and there is an RSPB site right near me in Cumbria.

Welcome to SGL ... :smiley:

I think Harperrig is the favourite although funny enough even though I've cycled & walked around that area I've never taken a scope out there! I know at least a couple of SGL members who do.

Luxury/laziness? of having an Obsy I guess,  :laugh: ..  though it's not as dark. I'm lucky enough to have friends with a farm down in Lanarkshire if I want to go to a dark site. I'm on the East side of Edinburgh, Mid/East Lothian border. If you need advice, help.. safety in numbers kind of thing :grin: you're welcome to give me a shout/PM..

Archived