Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter + Fraunhofer lines

Nice capture Steve,

Jonathan - Jupiter is mainly Hydrogen. The spectrum consists of reflected sunlight, with some absorption bands from molecules in the outer atmosphere. The dips at 430 and 620 I believe are hydrocarbon molecules (630= methane). The absorption lines for metals are therefore from the Sun. The hydrocarbon bands are even more pronounced in Saturn, Uranus & Neptune.

regards

John 

Nice spectrum Steve,

If we ask nicely :grin:  could you divide this by a spectrum of the daylight sky (easy to take with the ALPY) to show the features generated by Jupiter?   The nice thing about this technique is it will remove the Telluric  as well as the Fraunhofer lines and you don't even need to do an instrument response.

Cheers

Robin

Hi Steve,

The solar spectrum looks rather blurred. A shift in focus in the Alpy?  which might also explain why the calibration shifted between the two observations. (My ALPY seems to be very stable from run to run provided I dont disturb the internals)  Despite this though the Fraunhofer lines have cancelled nicely, though the tellurics have over corrected and turned into emission lines due to their higher intensity in the daylight spectrum. (Thinking about it, I guess that could normal as in a sky spectrum  the light is scattered more in the atmosphere compare with a direct solar spectrum.)  

The absorption bands from Methane are clear at ~6200, 7300A though. (Much less distinct though  than in Uranus for example)  and the net downward slope towards the blue seems correct too. Here is a measurement from Cassini as it flew past Jupiter  

http://vims.artov.rm.cnr.it/data/res-jup.html

Cheers

Robin

Thanks for that Robin. Thinking about it I did have the Alpy out the other day having a fiddle with it and forgot about that assuming the reference would be the same !. I also found a better solar spectrum, must stop rushing these things;-\

Regards

Steve

Archived