NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Really narrow dew heater for lens?

michaelmorris

When using my DSLR for astroimaging with a Canon 50mm f1.8 camera lens, I've always had a problem getting the focussing right.  I've recently discovered the delights of the Android app 'DSLR Controller' for providing manual remote control of focussing.  However, even though DSLR controller has an intervalometer function, I much prefer to use my standalone intervalometer for activating the shutter.  

Here comes the problem - in order to do use the intervalometer I have to turn off the AF function on the lens.  This necessitates moving the dew heater band out of the way to access the AF switch on the lens.  This in turn invariable leads to the focus accidentally being turned and I end up with out of focus images.  A solution would be a very narrow (<1cm wide) dew heater that didn't get in the way.  Does anyone know where I might get one?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Possibly a DIY job with Nichrome wire .... check out Blackwaterskies on this one.   http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2013/05/making-your-own-nichrome-dew-heater.html     also good for other heater ideas and controllers.

Failing that, a 12v travel hairdryer could help to keep the dew at bay?

Good luck,

Les

Thanks Les

I've got some nichrome wire and I'll try to knock up a dew heater strip over then next couple of weeks.  Now where are my hammers ?  ........

Archived