NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

i have some questions (..mainly about south polar align)

Rasta

hey all,  just upgraded from a AstroMaster 70EQ to a SkyWatcher 200mm Newtonian with EQ5 SynScan GOTO Mount. I'm currently learning about polar alignment and have a few questions that i need to get outta the way.. so here's 3 to start of with.

Q1. When using the SynScan controller should the  'R.A. & Dec Lock Knobs be locked?

Q2. Is there another way to polar align than facing south (as i only have a total clear view of the west and abit of the north)?

Q3. Once i'm polar aligned to the south, how do i move the telescope to face other directions (north/west for example)?

thanks

Rasta,

Welcome on board!

Answers:

1. Yes

2. You can "drift align" - google for details

3. Either undo the clamps and move the scope by hand, re clamp when you set on your target. Or use the directional arrows on the controller to move the scope.

Rasta,

Welcome on board!

Answers:

1. Yes

2. You can "drift align" - google for details

3. Either undo the clamps and move the scope by hand, re clamp when you set on your target. Or use the directional arrows on the controller to move the scope.

thank u very much for the welcome & quick reply. with ur answer to Q3...do u mean move the scope only and NOT the mount?

Once the mount is set up with the Altitude and Azimuth screws -you DON'T touch them again (until you want to relocate or refine the alignment of the mount)

The scope is then moved in RA and Dec - relative to the now fixed mount.

when i look through my polar scope this is exactly what i see:

post-35262-0-94773900-1392006953.jpg

the night sky shows octans like this:

post-35262-0-53855400-1392006955.jpg

so, when I do the R.A adjustments on my mount (i remove the telescope) to align SCP in Octans it ends up looking like this:

post-35262-0-16935400-1392007134.jpg

this is where i'm very confused.. my question is whats the next step before i mount the telescope to the mount ???

You have to orientate the reticule to the date and time.

See page 12 of the Mount Instruction manual.

thanks very much for the help and quick replies....

so is my scope supposed to look that way (in the last pic)?

Yes, it really doesn't matter.

The main thing would be to re-set the reticule to match the date & time.

This may mean rotating in RA to bring the pole into the correct position and achieve polar alignment - hence the telescope will probably be in a different position.

From your illustrations I assume you have a copy of the HEQ5 Instruction Manual.

Forget the internet!

Just follow the instructions on the top of page 12 to Orientate the Reticule.

Then when setting up for observing,  rotate the RA axis until the stars of Octans sit in or close to the positions in the reticule - adjust the Alt and/or the Az as required.

This is well explained at the bottom of page 13.

You should NOT have to adjust those small screws on the polar scope. They are only for fine alignment of the polar scope to the axis (p12)

Archived