Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starting to get around Orion sky

Hi

Had a clear sky for a couple of hours this evening and after checking the alignment on Sirius I moved on to catch the last minute of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter. Quite a sight too. I then moved onto The Orion Nebula M42 and M43 a really great sight in a dark ish sky.

Then moved on to attempt Keid and NGC 1535 with not too much success but had a better view moving onto M45 The Pleiades open cluster, a new one to me.

Hopefully if the skies are clear later might catch Mars but weather might have closed in before Saturn starts it's transit.

Hope everybody is catching a piece of clear sky before tomorrows storms.

Good to hear you managed some time at the eyepiece. Great to see Jupiter's  moons transit the planet.

While you are in Orion there are loads of objects worth a look. 

Rigel, bottom right is a tough unequal mag. double. The three belt stars are all doubles, Mintaka is easy, the other two more tricky. Down from Alnitak is Sigma Orionis a wonderful multiple system with Struve 761 an easy triple in the same high power field of view.

That's just scratching the surface of this wonderful constellation. 

Archived