NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Seeing the Sun

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that accurate polar alignment is only really needed for long exposure astrophotography. The sun being rather bright doesn't need long exposures therefore alignment can be a bit more hit and miss.

I set my scope up at night on some concrete slabs on the lawn. Mark the slabs where the tripod feet sit, then just use these marks when setting up in the daytime.

When setting up somewhere other than at home, I use a compass which while not as accurate is good enough to track the sun with only the occasional slight adjustment of the DEC.

You may know this already but be very careful - you can't look at the sun in a telescope without proper solar filters or a proper solar scope. Otherwise you will damage your eye(s) permanently.

I only mention it cos you're a new member with 4 posts - and possibly new to telescopes. Stay safe :)

Ha Ha, I know, WHEN the clouds break :shocked:

So, polar alignment is required for start gazzing and I guess Moon watching. But how do you set up an EQ5 auto mount to track the sun :huh:

It's easy: set latitude (already done, probably), level it, use a compass to point it north. That's it. You'll probably get many minutes of tracking before needing to re-centre. The frames will be at video rates so you don't need to worry about the drift. You select the good frames, align them to cancel any drift, and average. If you're not imaging then you could even tilt the head over and use it as alt/az (if your head allows that). You can't usually get above about 60x on the sun (I can't, anyway) because of bad seeing during the day.

Archived