Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen R130SF Newtonian

At the moment, what with the lack of clear nights, I'm almost exclusively using my Televue85 on a Porta II mount. Combined with an Argo Navis, it's a great set up, lightweight and pretty much hassle free. The only drawback is 85mm of aperture. I'd like to up the aperture but still make the most of the Porta/Argo Navis combination, and my head is saying get the Vixen R130SF. For £180, I get 5" of aperture in an ota which weighs no more than my TV85. But....would that extra aperture actually be apparent in the eyepiece? Another option is to perhaps get an 6" or 8" Newt on a beefier alt-az mount and attach the Argo Navis to that.

You could also opt for a 6" or 8" SCT, if you want it to be more portable.

The 6" and 8" SCT can still give a reasonable FOV with a long FL eyepiece.

They are pretty good and very popular alround scopes.

But those, just like the newts still need a decent Mount tho. So that requirement will still be the same.

I used to have a nexstar5 and now have a 80mm scope as its  more portable. I have to say that the difference in apparture is noticable. Its not huge but it is noticable.  So yes you would notice the view at the eyepiece

Thanks both.

I have considered something like a Celestron C6 but am currently more tempted by a Newtonian as the primary is effectively at the end of a very long dew shield and here in Cumbria, that makes a difference! I do have a Hitec dew controller though, so it would only mean adding anther heat strip. Have discounted the Skymax127 or similar due to the restricted fov. 

The Vixen only has a 1.25" focuser, so perhaps something like an Orion Optics or Skywatcher 6" would make more sense so I could use my lovely 2" eyepieces too....another drawback of an SCT?

Thanks both.

I have considered something like a Celestron C6 but am currently more tempted by a Newtonian as the primary is effectively at the end of a very long dew shield and here in Cumbria, that makes a difference! I do have a Hitec dew controller though, so it would only mean adding anther heat strip. Have discounted the Skymax127 or similar due to the restricted fov. 

The Vixen only has a 1.25" focuser, so perhaps something like an Orion Optics or Skywatcher 6" would make more sense so I could use my lovely 2" eyepieces too....another drawback of an SCT?

Something like this?

http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/VX/vx6.html

Yeah - something like that! Whether the OO mirrors are worth paying a lot more for compared to a Skywatcher, for example, is something I'd need to ponder, but I've got an OO mirror in my 10" and it's really quite nice. 

That's one thing I've wondered about too, I suppose you could wait to see if something comes up second hand? I suppose you could end up with waiting quite a while, when you could just get something like this:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ota.html / http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150p-ds-ota.html

Yeah - especially when you consider it's just a grab and go scope for half hours outside while until the clouds roll over. If it's a truly clear night, out comes the 10". 

The annoying thing about the Argo Navis is it puts so much within easy reach only for a TV85 to fail to show any of it. 

I think you're better off with a short F/5 6" if your mount will take it than a 5.1" (not that it makes that much difference). 6" is a lovely state for newts, large enough to start seeing more detail (I can pick up green in M42 at 6") but portable enough for grab and go. Whether you get the normal 150P or PDS is up to you - not sure it matters much for visual.

The FLO site suggests the DS model has a slightly shorter tube, but I can't imagine that's the case? An f5 6" isn't going to unduly worry my Porta II mount, particularly since I upgraded the tripod to a HAL130, which has made a really significant difference. 

Archived