Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Every cloud......

kerrylewis

...has a use - well some! Got up early and was enjoying Mars until I looked up from the eyepiece and everything else had gone! A thinnish cloud layer had crept over while I was engrossed. So I turned to the moon and found the use for the cloud - as a moon filter! It took the edge off nicely - at least until the fog arrived too. Then I knew it was time to give up

They also are quite valuable when looking at sunspots with the unaided eye or binoculars...as long as no breaks in the cloud bank suddenly appears - OUCH :shocked:  One night during an active meteor shower, the sky was overcast and while looking up every few minuets for a break, I was shocked to see the sky flashing (cloud illumination) from some brighter meteors above it. Well, it was better than no meteors on a clear night :grin:

Archived