NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with astronomy talk

NGC 1502

Hi all.  My wife & I are struggling to put pictures from my computer onto a USB stick, it's for a talk at my astronomy club.

We've had problems before, with the pics seeming to rearrange themselves into the wrong order, even though they are correct on the computer screen.

There are 36 pics.  We've tried numbering them from 1 to 36, but they reshuffle themselves in the wrong order, when put on the USB stick.

So we tried a,b,c, etc, but of course ran out of letters, so then used aa,bb,cc etc for the remainder.  But they get reshuffled as before, when put on the stick.

Any hints or tips would be very gratefully received...........thanks in advance  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

Open the folder with the files you wish to organise onscreen.

Select the picture you wish to show first, right click this file and copy it.

Now right click and paste it back in the same folder, the copy will now appear at the bottom of the list.

Delete the original file.

Repeat this with the picture you wish to show second, this one will now be at the bottom of the list.

Do this 36 times and the pictures will stay in the correct order.

You can then rename them as required.

Hi all.  My wife & I are struggling to put pictures from my computer onto a USB stick, it's for a talk at my astronomy club.

We've had problems before, with the pics seeming to rearrange themselves into the wrong order, even though they are correct on the computer screen.

There are 36 pics.  We've tried numbering them from 1 to 36, but they reshuffle themselves in the wrong order, when put on the USB stick.

So we tried a,b,c, etc, but of course ran out of letters, so then used aa,bb,cc etc for the remainder.  But they get reshuffled as before, when put on the stick.

Any hints or tips would be very gratefully received...........thanks in advance  :smiley:

Regards, Ed.

I suspect you've tried these but I'll suggest them anyway ...

The file order has nothing to do with the copying of the files to a USB, that is just a store for the files. The order is decided by either the computer system you are using (windows, linux, cpm etc), the program you are using or a deliberate choice by the user.

In computers "10" does not follow "9", 10 follows 9 but file names are strings of letters and in that case the files will, if ordered by name, appear as 1, 10, 11... 18, 19, 2, 20, 21.. etc. Rename the files to start with "00", "01", "02" etc and then sort by name.

Open the folder with the files you wish to organise onscreen.

Select the picture you wish to show first, right click this file and copy it.

Now right click and paste it back in the same folder, the copy will now appear at the bottom of the list.

Delete the original file.

Repeat this with the picture you wish to show second, this one will now be at the bottom of the list.

Do this 36 times and the pictures will stay in the correct order.

You can then rename them as required.

Not quite sure how this would work.... as when you click on the size header the files will be sorted by size, similarly when you click name or extension they will be ordered by that heading......

Unless your using a mac then you need to go to the menu and choose how to sort the files ie by kind, name, size etc.

The file order has nothing to do with the copying of the files to a USB, that is just a store for the files. The order is decided by either the computer system you are using (windows, linux, cpm etc), the program you are using or a deliberate choice by the user.

In computers "10" does not follow "9", 10 follows 9 but file names are strings of letters and in that case the files will, if ordered by name, appear as 1, 10, 11... 18, 19, 2, 20, 21.. etc. Rename the files to start with "00", "01", "02" etc and then sort by name.

+1 for this

Ive had the same problem at work when adding files to a PDF brochure - looked fine in the file but when dumped to the printer they got resorted alphabetically  by the printer.

Solution was the same as above, when I prefixed the files with 01, 02 , 03  or 001,002,003  it worked fine.

An alternative though would be to paste all the photos into a blank powerpoint as this makes presenting a doddle.

cheers

Sorted  :laugh:

Just came indoors from a nice observing session and my wife had seen this, tried it, and it worked.

Sincere thanks to everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.

Regards, Ed.

Archived