Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How tall is a skywatcher EG-5 mount?

CumbrianGadgey

The reason for this question is simple. I'm not sure if I could use it without balancing on a bucket or stool!

I am considering an upgrade from my Skywatcher 130 EQ-2 and was in the midst of considering the 200p (F5) and 250p (F4.7) by the same manufacturer, when I noticed adverse comments about the height of the mount.

This could be a problem for me, being vertically as challenged as you can be at 5'-5". I have seen a comment in the Sky At Night review stating that it was 118cm tall but it does not say if that is to the top of the mount, whether it was inclined at the time, etc.

Even if it is to the top, when inclined for latitude, it would be 8" taller than my EQ-2 mount. Add to that the fact that both scopes I am considering would be 10cm to 20cm longer than the 130, adding another two or three inches to the height of the eyepiece, combined with another inch or so due to the larger diameter of the scope and when viewing objects over head, the (horizontal) focuser is over 5' above the ground. Worse still, the finder scope would be even more inaccessible.

Yes, I could rotate the tube in the mounting rings but this could be awkward without upsetting the balance, especially with the 250 if it has a seamed tube. My daughter already has to use a stool at times. I don't want to have to crane my neck upwards with the tube rotated so I can use the finderscope.

Are there any of you who are my height and use one of these telescope/mount combinations?

I don't want to get something that is too awkward to use. The option of a Dob is ruled out for a couple of different reasons.

I could always hack a few inches of each of the legs but wouldn't want to do that in case it upset the telescopes stability.

Hi Gadgey,

I've got a 200p on an EQ5 mount. I just quickly set it up. When the legs of the tripod are spread the top plate is 830mm (2ft 9in) from the floor. The eyepiece is at 1600mm (5ft 3in) when in the home position and rotated to the side of the tube.

The tripod leg adjustment is held in place with grub screws so removing these and cutting to reduce length probably wouldn't be very difficult.

I'm 5ft 9in tall and sometime find myself on my tip-toes. I grab myself a rock to stand on. Rotating the tube appears to be a feature/drawback of having a Newtonian. There are loads of cheap mods on the forum that describe making this achievable without upsetting balance.

Hope this helps

Hi Gadgey,

I've got a 200p on an EQ5 mount. I just quickly set it up. When the legs of the tripod are spread the top plate is 830mm (2ft 9in) from the floor. The eyepiece is at 1600mm (5ft 3in) when in the home position and rotated to the side of the tube.

The tripod leg adjustment is held in place with grub screws so removing these and cutting to reduce length probably wouldn't be very difficult.

I'm 5ft 9in tall and sometime find myself on my tip-toes. I grab myself a rock to stand on. Rotating the tube appears to be a feature/drawback of having a Newtonian. There are loads of cheap mods on the forum that describe making this achievable without upsetting balance.

Hope this helps

It does help. I think i would have to cut the tripod down but perhaps that shouldn't put me off a scope that is excellent quality for the money. If you are struggling and on tiptoes at 5'9" just think what i'd be like, being 4" shorter.

It is pretty stupid as a design. Let's face it, it's heightist. Since it extends 500mm, even a person 7'3" would not have to stoop to use it, so why make us little gnomes struggle?

Thanks again for the tips and I'll go ahead and get one, I think.

Archived