Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8/1/2006 observing

The Warthog

I went out to put some pork chops on the barbecue tonight, and observed that the moon was visible, for the first time in a week. I set up the scope while dinner was cooking, and slipped my 15mm ep in, for about 60x, and observed while the pork cooked. Managed not to burn dinner, and came out afterwards, to find the clouds thicker, but affording some viewing through thin cloud and the occasional opening. Kept sliding up and down the terminator, drinking in as much as I could until the clouds became just too thick. It was only about zero, but I didn't feel much like sketching, and couldn't guarantee that the visibility would hold out anyway.

I took a few minutes to collimate my scope this afternoon, the first time since I got it. It's been about 6 months, but it really needed only a tweak, which took about two minutes to get it bang on. I dind't expect I'd be using it so soon. Mars was right beside the moon, but I didn't look at it, and the clouds made it impossible later.

In an imperfect world, we take what we can get. The pork chops were lovely...

For an all-nighter, I'd probably do hot dogs, they're easier to handle with one hand free for the scope. Those great big ball park wieners are just the thing for a cold night. Or a warm one.

The clouds have abated for the moment, so I may go and gawk some more. I'm mostly using this to learn the names of the stuff along the terminator. Spotted Copernicus all by myself, though.

great stuff, im afraid i cant even see a star here, its a white out again,well i think it is i havnt bothered looking for a while becouse iv been up and down that much checking this last week, im nackered, i need sustanance, and those weiners sound just the trick, but id better make do with these little tinned hot dogs which i fear dont hold a candle to your culinary delights :lol:

Archived