Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Problem updating NexStar firmware (Mac)

Gregnat73

Hi

I'm looking for help/advice on updating the firmware on my Celestron NexStar 8SE.

The controller keeps giving me an error message which I believe is resolved by reinstalling the firmware but I can't seem to get it to work using my laptop (a Mac). The problem is in connecting the scope to the laptop, I've tried a couple of RS232 to USB adapters but none seem to work (it doesn't help that I don't have a disk drive either so have to get drivers off the net) Does anyone know of a suitable adapter that will work?

Cheers

Greg

P.S.

The specific details in the guide above is for a particular make of RS232-USB adapter with a Prolific chip set so what you see may be different for your make of RS232-USB adapter but the basic principle for installation and test is the same.

Also,

Apple disabled Java as part of a security update on Mountain Lion last year and Celestron Firmware Manager CFM v1.7.3310:  http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=viewdownload&downloaditemid=771&nav=0,7 requires Java to work so you need to download the latest Java runtime JRE for Mac and install it.

If you have updated to OS X Mavericks this also does not have JRE enabled, again it has to be downloaded from Oracle, there is a link on the following faq page to get the latest JRE version: http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_mac.xml

Thanks for the help... My problem has been not knowing which driver I need for the adapters I have (none of them have any manufacturer's or id marks) and the generic drivers I've found online didn't seem to work. But now I know the prolific one works I've just ordered one!

Cheers

Greg

I've found Prolific adaptors to be unreliable. They seems to be sensitive to the RS232 cable length, whether they are connected through hubs and may work with some applications but not others.  This is using Windows.

I find the FTDI based adaptors to be rock solid and also keep the same COM port regardless of how it's connected.

It may be worth contacting TeamCelestron.com about this, there doesn't seem to be many people using Macs with CFM and more feedback would be useful.

Chris

Thanks again for all the advice. In the end the Prolific adapter worked just fine... Unfortunately the same can't be said of the handset as the problem seems to be more than just needing new firmware (it has a corrupted memory according to CFM) I've contacted FLO (who I bought it from a couple of months ago) and they've been great, offering to replace the handset when new stock arrives. So until then it's back to binos and a 90 MAK!!

Archived