Skywatcher Super Plossl set - worth it?

badhex

Hi all

I recently got a Skymax 102 which comes with 25mm and 10mm eyepieces. I can't be sure as they are just labelled 'Super', but I suspect these EPs are Skywatcher modified achromats, or 'Super MA' as they call them. As a good start I'm looking at this set of Skywatcher Super Plossls http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/astronomical_telescopes/sky-watcher/maksutov-cassegrains which having just got the Skymax will only cost me £80.

I appreciate that they won't be the best EPs I can get but it's a nice range of focal lengths, plus with the filters and case etc it seems like a bit of a bargain.

Can anyone advise if they'll be significantly better than the Super MA (or at least significant enough to make it worth the purchase)?

Thanks in advance

Hi badhex,

I purchased individual eyepieces rather than an complete set and other SGL members tend to agree that this is the preferred option.

As you own a Maksutov-Cassegrain you will have a narrower field of view. The secondary maybe upto one-third of of the corrector plate/mesiscus cell so you may consider a few wide angle eyepieces too.

BST's, have a look at 'Sky's the Limit' - http://www.skysthelimit.org.uk/telescope%20eyepieces.html - are very popular and sensibly priced too.

Just for the record I use an ETX105*/modified**, a C6/SCT & a 70mm TeleVue refractor and selection of TeleVue e/p's, a few Orthoscopics and a Meade Plossl. My wide angle is a 6mm Radian. I have yet to test the Radian in my ETX105 since I have modified it. The other e/p's in 'my set' are ok with it.

* the ETX105 is almost the same specs as your SW102.

** I will be adding post in DIY astronomer soon.

Hi Joe. Had a look at the eyepiece set in your link.  

It's a matter of opinion, but the 17mm is very close to the 20mm, and the 7.5mm would only be useful with your Skymax 102 on the best nights.

Sorry not to be enthusiastic on that set.......

Regards, Ed.

Each EP is £20 on First Light Optics, so you're not really saving anything on them. I generally think of the filters as throw-ins, so you're really just getting a free case and torch, they wouldn't be more than £20 for both if you bought them separately. So even if the focal lengths are good for your scope (and NGC 1502 said one isn't), it's not that big a saving.

Archived