Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fixing L Bracket to Grip Action Ball Head-Help Needed Pls!

vvsloan

Hi everyone,

I feel a bit of a div having to ask this as I feel it should be straight forward, but I have this Strathspey L bracket :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331102395049?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And this grip action ball head:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Professional-Tripod-Head-Grip-WT011H-ACTION-BALL-TOP-QUALITY-/261370606348

and I'm having a couple of problems fixing the two together. 

Firstly, the screw in the middle of the head on top of the plate moves from side to side (obviously intentional given the strip gap for it on the surface of the head). Now, how do I stop this moving from side to side so it just stays stiff, in place centrally? Moreover, what's the purpose of this moveable screw function in the first place?

Secondly, I cant seem to get the L bracket to screw tightly and securely onto this screw. It seems to take forever to screw it on to stay on (inbetween that other uppy-downy silver stud behind the head screw that depresses when something is on top of it and clicks up when released. Again, what is that for?), and even then it does not feel firm or stable at all and it easily screws left or right,I can get no tight, firm screw on it so it stops being able to easily screw left or right no matter how many times I rotate it to scew it on,  it never actually tightens. (-I can see a slight gap inbetween the bracket and the head when help up to my eyes). And again, the ball head screw just moves from side to side, as in my first point. I wouldnt attatch my bins to such an unfirm loose get up.

What am I doing wrong??!!

(My new shiny second hand Manfrotto 680B monopod arrived today, which, incidentally, screws onto the ball head firmly and wonderfully :)  and I'm desperate to get all my new kit together and take it out for a spin whilst I've got a rare hour or two of clear skies tonight!- The only for the forseeable future...

Please Help!

Many thanks,

Vic.

Hi Vic,

You have taken the Quick release plate off the head and then screwed the L bracket to it and then slid it back in to the head and locked it?

Best Regards

Phil

Ah, no. Thanks Phil. Got a nice tight central fixing now.

When you say 'locked it', do you mean simply tightened the quick release plate or is there some other locking mechanism that I'm not seeing?

Also, another dumb question- the little 'handle' on the other side of the screw, in the underside of the quick release plate; whats that for?!

These things should come with blumming instructions for novices like me :)

Thanks again!,

Vic. 

Hi Vic,

Nope just tighten the QR plate screw and you should be good to go. If you mean the silver handle that just releases the QR fail-safe or lock. if you find you need to tighten up the ball head if you look down towards the base of the grip there is a small allen grub screw, if you screw this in it will increase the friction on the ball which might come in handy for heavy bin's as it will give you more friction. 

You are right about the lack of instructions, I did wonder when I first got mine, obvious when you know how!

All the best 

Phil

Thank you Phil, got it all sussed now : )

And great to know about the friction screw, dont think I would have sussed that one out (or tempted playing with something I wasnt sure what it was) should I ever feel the need for more friction, either now with these bins, or in the future with others.

As you say, obvious when you know how : )

Thanks again,

Vic.

Archived