Future proof upgrades for the stock eyepieces on a bresser R90

jnb

I have a Bresser R90 on a MON1 mount (basically an evostar 90 / EQ3 with different badges). Currently I have the stock eyepieces that it came with which are Plossl 10, 15 and 25 and a 2x barlow. The 10mm has, in my opinion, too short an eye relief and all the eyepieces have a narrower field of view than I would like. So I want to upgrade the eyepieces but with a view to being future proof.

At the moment my plan is to get an RA drive on the current mount, then to get a 150p-ds and then an EQ5 pro (or HEQ5 if I find one cheap or the budget will stretch that far). The 150p-ds will be used for AP and visual, the R90 for visual only, the 150p-ds has a 2" focusser, the R90 a 1.25" focusser.

Any suggestions for suitable replacement eyepieces?

Good idea to be future proof if you can, I've chopped & changed eyepieces too many times.

The eyerelief and apparent field of view can usually be found in the specifications.  20mm eyerelief is often thought of as being good, especially for eyeglass wearers, but so much is down to individual likes.

Apparent field of 40 - 50 degrees is regarded as 'normal',  60 - 70 is wide, 80 - 100 is very wide, so check the specs for that info.

Maybe you could give an idea of your budget for the eyepieces ?  As there is such a huge range of EPs available from £20 to several £100, that would help those trying to help.

Regards, Ed.

here's my logic for eyepiece selection. I have four scopes to 'feed' but believe this set provides me with enough options to avoid the need to ever buy another eyepiece - not that I don't ever think about it still. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/188794-eyepiece-groups/

hope it gives you some ideas about focal lengths even if some of the eyepieces specified are above your budget, some of them may well be within it.

I use this to establish the 'correct' lengths fora particular scope

eyepieces and scopes.xls

Budget is yet to be decided but as I'm planning on spending up to £800 on scopes and mounts this year a couple of hundred on eyepieces wouldn't be unreasonable. With what I'm planning I would have 10mm PL, 15m PL, 25mm, PL, 28mm LET and a cheap 2x barlow. The 28mm might be a 2" fitting, it depends what SW pack. So if you had £200 to spend on eyepieces what would you get. As I will already have some eyepieces I suspect fewer quality eyepieces is the way to go but I have no real idea of the practical differences between designs and of the advantages of a 2" fitting over the disadvantage of not being able to use it in a 1.25" focusser

Archived