NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SynScan AZ

Grateful for any feedback :kiss:   My secondhand reflector came with a goto Synscan AZ.  It has a software version no. of 03.06.  And with no manual and only one cable to connect it to the telescope motor.

I haven't bothered about it beyond using it to steer me around the sky.  For sure the rate of movement settings make that an enjoyable and accurate task  :smiley:

But I now want to track things and I guess play with the goto even though I somehow feel star jumping will be far more rewarding.  But having hunted tutorials on the net beyond how to set position, time and the location of 2 stars I'm somewhat confused.  Any help from people with this thing would be very welcome.

I assume the second cable connector on the handset is to connect to a laptop, etc. and that is how you get the handset to upload a newer version of database and software?

On the handset there are two cable ports (plus the power port of course) but no guide to which is which.  Are they interchangeable?

Can I buy a cable from handset to usb and if so where?  I keep seeing serial port cables but my laptop doesn't cater for that.  Surely in this day and age it should be a usb?

Many tutorials talk about setting up with a spirit level and polar alighment.  Is this necessary?  I imagined if it had two fixed points (stars) and my location it would work it out from there.  

Clouded in over coming days so thought I'd get this sorted ready for the next clear skies :cool: .  Many tx Nigel 

Before you upgrade the firmware use whatever you have.

Updating the firmware means getting the download/update/loader software from the Skywatcher site.

Not all USB to serial cable seem to work, about half do so successfully.

The system was made 10-15 years ago before the time of USB, so that is why it is serial port and cable.

Alignment is always fun. If you think about it 2 stars really means 1. The first position simply is a start and could be anywhere. What you are telling the scope is that starting at posn X the next star is at this difference. the initial position give nothing to the scope.

The level and North is a good idea, you have to start somewhere while working out what to do, and the more level the unit the less errors for tilt is had to compensate for. One of the recent alignments uses or starts from polaris, as in level mount, aim scope at Polaris. Good start position, your software may or may not have this in it.

Check on the motor unit for a port marked HBX, that is where the handset goes in. Not sure on Skywatchers if they have 2 identical ports or not.

Write do all the information you will need:

Longitude, Latitude, timezone being the obvious.

Guess you will be something like: -0.5, +51 and 0.

It may go in as 0.5W, 51N, 0.

For alignment use something like Beletgeuse and Deneb. Avoid Polaris, use to cause problems and even if fixed still safer to avoid it.

Jambouk that is a great write up by my namesake so many thanks.  Answers several of my questions.

Ronin tx.  I would have gone for Polaris so you may well have saved me some hours of lost observing time.  I've also got two sets of 8 rechargeable but point taken.

I will do it but in only 6 weeks I have found finding targets with my non motorised refractor is easy enough.  I doubt I'll get hooked on it.  Obviously I can't track without it set up though.  But I do occassionally kick trhe tripod in the excitment  :grin:

Nigel

Re-chargables are OK in theory, but just Rubbish in practice in my experience. If you use good quality batteries, a set of 8 will last you many observing sessions, they did for me anyway. Rechargeables will be dead after one outing. If you can get a small (old) 12v car battery, run it off that.

Good luck and stop kicking the mount :)

James

James but when Saturn with it's rings come into view you have to celebrate like a prem footballer.  It just looks fantastic.  And that tripod just has to be kicked to show it how grateful you are :grin: .

On batteries I've used three normal sets and they lasted just under two hours.  Perhaps I'm too impatient and do too much motoring around.  I've just acquired 16 rechargeables so am hoping for better.  I assume if the GOTO is set up then changing the batteries won't upset it :huh: .

Problem with other power sources is about 600 yards up the hill I am in a field with almost no direct light polution.  But I have to carry everything with me :smiley:

But I'm learning all the time so we will see.

Nigel

If you power off the mount, you will lose all your alignment and date data, and have to start from scratch.

I'm REALLY surprised you get through batteries so quickly. Are these top quality Duracell ones, or ones from the pound shop? Imm sure you could work out a way to use a bigger capacity 12v battery without having to go down the car battery route.

If you plan your observing session, then you might be slewing less often from one hemisphere to another; tracking using minimal power in my experience.

Yes, i've not see saturn this year through a scope (naked eye two a month or so ago), and waiting for it to be visible from my back garden.

James

James that is interesting what you say regarding batteries.  Yes they were top quality duracell at £5 for 8.  And 2 hours was it from 3 different sets.  For sure I was motoring around but as I can see only abour 65% of the sky from the patio it did surprise me.  Perhaps I have a fault draining them.

But I'll try the rechargables and see what I get.

Just yesterday saw Saturn for the first time and as I was searching for Mars it came as a nice surprise.  Hope you get lucky soon.

Cheers Nigel

I've also got two sets of 8 rechargeable but point taken.

They are no good.

A rechargeable is 1.2V a normal battery is 1.5v.

Assuming 12v wanted so 8 batteries it means with rechargeables you have 9.6v not 12v.

They are no good.

A rechargeable is 1.2V a normal battery is 1.5v.

Assuming 12v wanted so 8 batteries it means with rechargeables you have 9.6v not 12v.

Ronin tx for that - I hadn't noticed that.  The processor in the handset doesn't appear to care.  And the motor still runs.  But I wonder if the lower power will eventually damage the motors?

I've done a 20 minute on rechargeables run with setup followed by continual rate *9 power and it is holding up well.  I'm doing it indoors so can only guess as to accuracy but it certainly points roughly at Polaris and Jupiter if I ask it too.    I'll push on with the test and report back.

I guess a mains chargeable power tank is going to be the answer.  I notice they carefully avoid saying how heavy they are but I guess 2 kilos?

Something that surprises me is the price of this stuff.  Mine is secondhand but it would cost a fortune brand new.   Glad I started out secondhand and didn't jump in before I knew what I know now let alone what I'll learn over the next 4 months  :cool:

The handset should have an option under the Utility menu that lets you see the voltage being supplied while you slew around a bit. There will be a point below which tracking and GOTO start to suffer (think JamobUK told me about that one!!!).

And some people get on with Power Tanks; I found mine OK at first but very quickly the life was drastically reduced. Leisure batteries are much recommended round here but I have no direct experience. Check for threads, there will be many!

Although I now use mains which rules!

The handset should have an option under the Utility menu that lets you see the voltage being supplied while you slew around a bit. There will be a point below which tracking and GOTO start to suffer (think JamobUK told me about that one!!!).

And some people get on with Power Tanks; I found mine OK at first but very quickly the life was drastically reduced. Leisure batteries are much recommended round here but I have no direct experience. Check for threads, there will be many!

Although I now use mains which rules!

Tx M37 I found that.  9.4 after a heavy half hour of motoring.  Thinking about it it can't do any damage as all batteries lose power eventually.

Guess I won't know till I try it in anger.

Archived