NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

webcam advice

OptiGone

After a few years "out of the game" so to speak I have just resparked my interest ( isnt divorce wonderful!)

BUT it seems the days of buying a SPC900 for less than a tenner are gone!

What are the webcams to look out for these days? I really miss the basic imaging I was able to do with my old 200p and having picked another small scope today am keen to get back into the swing of things.

Please recommend :)

The SPC900 is still pretty much it, to be honest :)  They're still in demand and I don't think I've seen anything for less than £100 that's any better.

The XBox Live cam is very cheap, can be modified to take a nosepiece and it's ok, but not a patch ok the SPC.  The Microsoft LIfecams are similar, though harder to mod because you need a complete new shell.

This one looks interesting, though I've not seen any images from it yet:

http://www.365astronomy.com/zwo-asi034mc-colour-14-cmos-usb20-camera-p-3700.html

and I think the DFK21.AU04 seems to be going for around the same price used now.

James

SPC's were great bits of kit. I bought 5 of them when Morgans had them for about 6-7£ a piece, these where 800's i believe that I flashed, going back a few years here..

Ok thanks for the advice and will check out the above :)

SPC's were great bits of kit. I bought 5 of them when Morgans had them for about 6-7£ a piece, these where 800's i believe that I flashed, going back a few years here..

As did I.  I LX-modded one, but now I've moved on to other cameras they're waiting for me to finish a few other astro projects to use them.

James

Archived