NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big Alt-Azimuth Mount

John

I'm still pursuing the concept of a really big alt-azimuth mount to hold my Istar 6" F/12 refractor which is a bit of a monster of a scope to mount  :shocked:

Here are a couple of pics of the current contender. It's a Bray Tablet mount sitting on a steel "owls nest" extension by Astro Engineering which in turn is bolted onto a Meade Giant Field tripod. The height of the dovetail clamps is now just over 6 feet so I should have a sporting chance of viewing the zenith area when seated on a chair rather than having to lie full length on the ground !

The mount head is 6" in diameter, the "owls nest" is 6.5", the tripod hub is 8" and the tripod steel legs are 3" in diameter. Big and heavy stuff - nearly 90 lbs in total without a scope !

I've yet to actually put the scope on this combination as I don't have room in the house so thats the next test.

I can now more fully understand why long 6" refractors are usually found in observatories !  :rolleyes2:

post-118-0-95023200-1389314585_thumb.jpg

post-118-0-18133000-1389314594_thumb.jpg

If you didn't have room in the house to mount it, I have to wonder why you bought such a large scope.... Actually, I don't have to wonder, had I seen it / had the cash I might've bought it  :rolleyes:

Might be time for a clear up so the scope can be mounted :). Prime position in the living room :evil:.

If you didn't have room in the house to mount it, I have to wonder why you bought such a large scope.... Actually, I don't have to wonder, had I seen it / had the cash I might've bought it  :rolleyes:

The scope came available at a price that I could not resist Jonathan and I'd always wanted a large, long refractor. I thought I'd grab the chance to have one while I've still got the energy to use it !.

Just looked up the scope, wonderful looking thing.  I have never seen a commercial Truss tube Frac before.

I've not seen one either - mine is the solid tube version. I did enquire recently about moving my optics into the truss tube version but the cost was rather steep I felt and the Istar dealer admitted that the solid tube would probably perform better.

Anyway, novel though it is, the skeleton tube does not quite fit my vision of a traditional long refractor  :smiley:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived