Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

low tech still gives good results if you know how

just thought I'd share some pictures i have taken recently and show to any newbies(like me :D)that you don't need expensive components to take pictures the following picture was taken with a 7mp pentax digital camera by simply aiming through the eyepiece.

first i just took a picture and found them to be very blurry and very hard to keep still long enough to take a decent picture

i read a few post were people say they stacked there video shots into an image so i decided to video saturn with my digi cam and got a very wobbly video next i converted the video to avi with a free program i got called video DJ then stacked the images in a program called registax again this was free just type them into google to find the web pages

at first i was apprehensive a my video was not the best quality but the resulting image has spurred me on to try again i hope this encourages beginners that want to try imaging or have tried and gave up due to poor quality

the following image was viewed through a celestron 114eq telescope with 20mm eyepiece giving 50x magnification and is a bad 8 second video stacked in registax

3164_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

this took my 30 minutes to produce and that includes downloading the 2 programs

good look and happy stargazing :wave:

Thanks for that. Interesting ideas. I tried some Afocal when I had five minutes with the moon and really struggled. My camera lens is too large and I get some serious vignetting, but that may not matter on something like a planet of the moon. My wife's camera hasn't got enough options, but Vid might work.

I don't John, purely because I have Baader Hyperion eyepieces and they have a range of step rings. My set up looks like this: http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,20287.0.html . If I didn't have the Hyperions, I'd be using one of those adapters. I'm not 100% certain, but I would imagine the part that probably takes the most stress while imaging afocally would be the focuser as it had to hold the eyepiece, adapter (if any) and the camera. I don't do any imaging with my WO scope as the crayford can't take the weight of all that plus a diagonal!

Tony..

Archived