Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

iOS Astro (and Weather) Apps - What are your thoughts?

markallan

Hi All,

Whilst I so eagerly await my first clear night to break my 'scope virginity, I thought I'd have a look at some apps for my iPad that may help me whilst gazing. As a researcher, I'm a huge advocate for taking my iPad mini out onto fieldwork as a lightweight notebook/data collection tool (though a pencil and paper are always in my bag), and would like to do the same once I get a chance to go out with the telescope!

As such, are there any must-have apps that you've come across - both for assisting with the astronomy, but also with the planning (i.e. weather)?

Currently, I use Star Walk (by Vito Technology) as a Sky Chart, and WeatherPro, with Premium Features (by Meteogroup).

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated  :smiley:

Mark

Don't really have a good sky chart app for my phone, but as for weather I like the clear sky chart from cleardarksky.com

As of late accuweather or some other weather sites have told me it was partly or mostly cloudy, but when I check CDS, it shows that cloud cover is good and when I look out the window, it is clear as a bell. 

I never liked regular weather reports anyway though. It can say it's partly cloudy. So does that mean it's mostly clear??? 

Just my 2 cents so far. I'm sure that some people have quite the opposite views of CDS. But for me it works 90% of the time.

I can recommend Luminous as a great app, I use it to help me pin point where things are in the night sky.  I am a newbie to astronomy and find it a bit difficult to navigate the night sky, but this app helps to find the objects i want to observe.

Sometimes i just sit in my back garden looking at the sky and using the app the help me learn the constellations.

I think sky safari plus is great. Don't have the need for pro, but think is better than regular version. Available for iPhone, iPad & mac. Much prefer to stellarium - more user friendly & has a better view & more info built in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I use SkySafari Pro (iPad 4 and iPhone 5S) and whilst not cheap I think it is the best planetarium software for IOS.

ChrisH

Half price offer for this (currently £13.99) ends on the 20th of Jan then it reverts to full price - get it now if you're going to get it at all (I the others are discounted too - 4+ is £5.49 and the basic version is £0.69)

Half price offer for this (currently £13.99) ends on the 20th of Jan then it reverts to full price - get it now if you're going to get it at all (I the others are discounted too - 4+ is £5.49 and the basic version is £0.69)

Good call! Just bought this (most I've ever spent on an App!).

Scope nights is a decent weather app. It gives alerts when it is going to be clear. It seems to be quite accurate but as we all know, non are perfect.

Just downloaded this - looks pretty good! Actually, it is saying 'Clear' right now... off I go!

Archived