SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2nd scope, is it a good choice?

Hi folks,

Got a Sky-Watcher Mercury 705 just before Christmas and have now decided to purchase another telescope. I have chosen a Orion SkyQuest xt8 and hope to pick it up this weekend.

Can I ask, all you more knowledgeable people than me, if this is a good choice of scope and also what can I expect to see with it compared to the scope I have?

Many thanks. 

An 8" reflector will be a big upgrade to the SW Mercury 705 for all types of observations except one.

The small refractor will be capable of very low powers and wide field, great for large objects like the Pleiades M45, Beehive M44, Kemble's Cascade, Coma Cluster, etc.

The 8" reflector will outperform your refractor for everything else from solar system to deep sky, and can give a lifetimes use with no real need to upgrade unless you get ambitious.

The two scopes would complement each other, so if you get the xt8, I'd hang on to the refractor myself.

Hope that helps, Ed.

Hi Weetooner. As an owner of a smaller refractor myself, I have been looking to get a 10" Dob as my second scope. Every person I have spoken to or review I have read says you can't go far wrong with a 8" or larger reflector on a Dob base.

However, I won't part with my cash until I have seen one or ideally used one. Will visit my local observatory to see if this is poss. Would suggest you try a retailer or astronomy group in your locale to check you are happy with your choice. Nothing like a hands on experience.

Good luck and would great to find out what u choose.

Archived