Reducer for DSLR

Hello all,

I wanted to image the Plaiedes the other night, but the FOV on my SW 150pds is too narrow with a DSLR.

I know there are various reducers out there but if i'm honest, i'm not sure what i'm looking for, or even if they are available for DSLR's.

I nearly went for the 200pds, thinking that 750mm wouldn't be enough 'zoom'. Lucky I didn't!!

Cheers!

A reducer (in practice a reducer/corrector) that works well with a Newton is pretty expensive and often requires modifications to the telescope to reach focus. The only 2" reducer/corrector I know of that could work without modifications is the ASA 0.75x since it has 62mm of backfocus. However it costs 720€... 

to something

Hello all,

I wanted to image the Plaiedes the other night, but the FOV on my SW 150pds is too narrow with a DSLR.

I know there are various reducers out there but if i'm honest, i'm not sure what i'm looking for, or even if they are available for DSLR's.

I nearly went for the 200pds, thinking that 750mm wouldn't be enough 'zoom'. Lucky I didn't!!

Cheers!

Hi,

I don't have a  150 PDS but I just put the FL and the chip size of Canon 1100d DSLR in CCD Calculator and M45 or at least the main stars seem to fit well with no problem, perhaps you are after wider field of view in any case skywatcher Coma Corrector has a reduction ratio of 0.9X  and there is also the ASA 0.73 X CC/FR for newtonian but before I tell you its price hold on to something, 864 Euros from Telescope Express plus postage. The SW is about £100.00.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks for that, i think i'll give that a miss!

Had a other go at imaging the pleides tonight. Just waiting for the results but I think they just about fit edge to edge. Would prefer a slightly wider field really but hey ho, cant have it all!

You could make a mosaic out of it. Do two or more shots, each targeting a different part of the Pleiades and then stitch the results together. It would take more imaging time, but will not involve 800 euros on a reducer.

You could make a mosaic out of it. Do two or more shots, each targeting a different part of the Pleiades and then stitch the results together. It would take more imaging time, but will not involve 800 euros on a reducer.

But don't forget the 0.7 reducer/corrector would not only increases your imaging area it also significantly reduces exposure times.

In addition you could the reducer/corrector on multiple scopes. For instance I have three GSO 'budget' imaging Newtonians: 12" F4 1200mm FL, 8" F4 800mm FL & 6" F4 600mm FL. Using the 0.7x reducer/corrector on any of these scopes opens up the following possibilities- 12" F2.9 840mm FL, 8" F2.9 560mm FL & 6" F2.9 420mm FL. A very useful range from just the one accessory.

But don't forget the 0.7 reducer/corrector would not only increases your imaging area it also significantly reduces exposure times.

In addition you could the reducer/corrector on multiple scopes. For instance I have three GSO 'budget' imaging Newtonians: 12" F4 1200mm FL, 8" F4 800mm FL & 6" F4 600mm FL. Using the 0.7x reducer/corrector on any of these scopes opens up the following possibilities- 12" F2.9 840mm FL, 8" F2.9 560mm FL & 6" F2.9 420mm FL. A very useful range from just the one accessory.

Sounds like a bargain if you put it like that!

I managed to get pretty much the whole cluster in last night, so i'm happy with that. Also happens to be my best image yet!

Cheers

Archived