SynScan PRO GOTO Upgrade for Astrophotography?

Hello, i was wondering wether the SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade for the Eq5 mount would be worth buying?

Me and my brother want to do astrophotography but as we have a standard eq5 mount, we cant do long exposures. Would the upgrade make good enough tracking for 30 second exposures?

Also we do have a budget so that is the most we would like to spend, If there is anything better than the SynScan PRO Upgrade kit for around £300 then please send me a link :D

SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade kit for eq5:  http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/synscan-pro-goto-version-3-upgrade-kit-for-eq5.html

Thank's - Harvey.

The goto upgrade on its own won't improve anything, but you will then be able to add guiding and that will help.  Some people think that the extra weight of a guidescope setup might be a bit much for the EQ5 though, so it may be better to replace the mount with something beefier.  It depends on what scope you are using.

However, I use a standard EQ5 (non-goto) for imaging and am having good results.  With my 200P I can get a minute without trailing if I am careful with the polar alignment, with my 130PDS I can get 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes on a good night.  So the basic EQ5 is a good starting point for imaging, but you will probably want something better later on.  I am currently saving my pennies for a HEQ5 and guidescope setup.

You could buy the dual axis motors for £100 or suitable stepper motors and belt drives for around the same price,then buy Tom Carpenter's AstroEQ for £90 saving you £110.You'll need a laptop to run the AstroEQ and associated software though.

With my 200P I can get a minute without trailing if I am careful with the polar alignment, with my 130PDS I can get 90 seconds, maybe 2 minutes on a good night.  So the basic EQ5 is a good starting point for imaging, but you will probably want something better later on.  I am currently saving my pennies for a HEQ5 and guidescope setup.

We are new to astrophotography so sorry if this is a silly question, but how can you get a minute exposure without star trails and without tracking? We can only get away with about 2 seconds :(

If i polar align my scope will i be able to get longer exposures?, i usally dont bother with polar alignment because i have never felt the need to.

(My scope is a 200p)

Thanks for the advice :)

We are new to astrophotography so sorry if this is a silly question, but how can you get a minute exposure without star trails and without tracking? We can only get away with about 2 seconds :(

If i polar align my scope will i be able to get longer exposures?, i usally dont bother with polar alignment because i have never felt the need to.

(My scope is a 200p)

Thanks for the advice :)

Polar alignment is essential to photography I'm afraid - without it you get trails. (Of course I'm assuming here you are using the standard non goto motors?)

I know of a few who have managed up to 5 minutes on an EQ5 (standard motors, not GOTO) before PE in the worm spoilt the image

Another option to consider is to sell the EQ5 and put the money from that with the money you "would" have spent on the upgrade ... to fund a second hand HEQ5 GOTO  :)

That sounds like a good idea but i got the telescope for christmas and i dont know if i can bring myself to sell the eq5!

However that is a good plan and i might consider that in the future :D

Polar alignment is essential to photography I'm afraid - without it you get trails. (Of course I'm assuming here you are using the standard non goto motors?)

I know of a few who have managed up to 5 minutes on an EQ5 (standard motors, not GOTO) before PE in the worm spoilt the image

Ok thanks for that :D i might have a look at some motors instead :)

Do you know of any websites that sell second hand GOTO / Heq5 mounts?

If you are prepared to find your targets manually and are happy with 30 sec exposures then a single ra motor will do the trick. You won't be able to guide but with good polar alignment and a well balanced rig I would think 60 sec exposures would be well within your reach and it'll cost around £80-£100. you'll get a good taste of ap and it'll give you time to save for a bigger mount which you WILL want if you stick with ap :)

Hope this helps

Scott

If you are prepared to find your targets manually and are happy with 30 sec exposures then a single ra motor will do the trick. You won't be able to guide but with good polar alignment and a well balanced rig I would think 60 sec exposures would be well within your reach and it'll cost around £80-£100. you'll get a good taste of ap and it'll give you time to save for a bigger mount which you WILL want if you stick with ap :)

Hope this helps

Scott

Thank's for the reply Scott , i think im just going to get some ra motors so i can save my money and get a HEQ5 in the future :D

Sorry, I didn't realise that you didn't have the RA motor.  If you are on a tight budget I would get the single-axis motor (£69) and if you don't have a polarscope then you will need that as well (£37).  Then you will be able to get exposures of one minute or more - what scope are you using?

Sorry, I didn't realise that you didn't have the RA motor.  If you are on a tight budget I would get the single-axis motor (£69) and if you don't have a polarscope then you will need that as well (£37).  Then you will be able to get exposures of one minute or more - what scope are you using?

My budget is around £150 - £200 so i guess i could get Dual axis motors? i have a polar scope built into the tripod. Oh and my scope is a Skywatcher 200p on a Eq5 mount :)

You only need the single axis motor, but the dual axis might be more convenient in use, you do need to be a contortionist to reach that DEC knob sometimes.

My Flickr gallery (see signature) will show you what a beginner can do with a 200P/EQ5.

My Flickr gallery (see signature) will show you what a beginner can do with a 200P/EQ5.

I looked at your Flickr account last night :) i have to say there are some great images on there!

I really like your pictures of M27 and M51, i hope i can get some pictures like that in the future :D

Do you have your Canon 1100D modded for AstroPhotography or is it stock?

I looked at your Flickr account last night :) i have to say there are some great images on there!

I really like your pictures of M27 and M51, i hope i can get some pictures like that in the future :D

Do you have your Canon 1100D modded for AstroPhotography or is it stock?

Thanks a lot.

The camera is not modded.  I thought about having it done but most of the time I am filtering out red light rather than wanting to capture more.

Thanks a lot.

The camera is not modded.  I thought about having it done but most of the time I am filtering out red light rather than wanting to capture more.

Do you think it would be worth getting a camera modded? i have seen pictures of before and after they have been modded

And the after pictures look considerably better.

Archived