NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser finder

Hey

I've run into issues finding a finder for my 12" lightbridge deluxe.

I do not like the reflex RDF that came with it (the meade one), and would maybe get a 50 RACI or something. However, I'm not against looking for something a bit more high tech!

I have seen some green laser dot finders (especiall on american websites). Are these available,legal and any good?

Does the baader laser skysurfer finder superimpose the laser onto the sky or do you have to crane your neck to look through the en of the finder to see the beam?

My skies are fairly light polluted - Manchester - so at the moment, sans finder, it is hard to even find the moon in the scope!

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay,

Please be careful!!

I'm not an expert by any means but I completed a module on Lasers during my recent MSc studies. Our lecturer was very critical of some types of laser pointers. Some are illegal and can be very dangerous to the eyes even from reflected beams.

He was from the Health Protection Agency. This is a link to their Laser pointer safety advice: -

http://www.hpa.org.uk/radiation/understand/information_sheets/laser_pointers.htm

Hope this is helpful

Bill£ :D

Hi Jay,

the green laser pointers are sold in the U.K. too, the ones from America are rated greater than

5mw which i don't think are legal over here,

I've got one (5mw) and their not very good in light polluted Sky's,

also the cold affects the beam which makes it even dimmer,

better of with a good RFD

Steve.

Also, I think that quite a few societies are not entirely in favour of encouraging the use of laser devices as finders, can you imagine the chaos if several people turned up at an observing session all shining lasers around the sky? They have their uses for pointing things out to newbies and the general public, but as finders, I think you're better of with a red dot/unit power finder. Just to ram home the point - they are banned at Kelling. There can be no better endorsement for their uselessness.

Regards, Dave

There's also been a successful prosecution of someone using a green laser that interfered with aircraft .Although this was in the states the CAA have similar provision,something to bear in mind if you live near a major airport! A good RDF would be better IMHO.

Karlo

Thanks everyone.

I am aware that the states has a 5mw limit on the output, but I live sorta under the flightpath of many arriing flights into Manchester Airport so that's not probably very good :s

Is it easy to line up a telrad with my scope? Do I just use double sided tape?

Yes its very easy, just peel back the covering on the adhesive pads on the mount and stick it where suits.

you then use the screws on the back to adjust the reticule so it positions a distant ariel in the middle of your eyepiece and refine on a bright star at night.

The base has two screws on it that allow you to take the telrad off when you arent using it.

You can get the right angle finder part and a dew shield, should it dew up. In fact I think you can even get dew heater tapes to fit one.

If your under a flight path then lasers arent a good idea, technicaly if your laser shone in a pilots eyes and caused an accident you could be held legally liable.. I know this has proved the case over the pond with lasers.

Archived