Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First time observing with telescope

DGU

Hi

I've been eagerly awaiting to use my first ever telescope (skywatcher heritage 130p flextube). Last night was clear sky so the stars were out in force viewing from my back garden. I set up the telescope and set up the red dot finder and pointed it on the brightest and biggest one which I think was Venus? anyway I couldn't get a zoomed in view :sad: id also put in the barlow lens too but it made no difference, I adjusted the focus thing too. I could just see loads of other stars which you cant see from the ground. Stupid question but did I miss anything out on the set up. I live in a town so yes light pollution but I was expecting to see a better close up on that bright one.  Rest of days have been cloudy !!

Firstly was the scope collimated?

Secondly was the red dot finder lined up to the eyepiece view?

Thirdly did you try using the extension tube in the focuser as with some eyepieces you can't gain focus without it.

With say a 10mm ep and a Barlow in your scope Venus will still only look like a small bright ball a fee mm across in the ep view at most

what is collimated?? I had the full eyepiece in yeah. I'll just have to do a better job with the red dot I guess, thought I had lined up though. Beginners rubbishness no doubt!

...I set up the telescope and set up the red dot finder and pointed it on the brightest and biggest one which I think was Venus? anyway I couldn't get a zoomed in view :sad: id also put in the barlow lens too but it made no difference, I adjusted the focus thing too. I could just see loads of other stars which you cant see from the ground. ...

I'd first check to see if the red dot finder is properly aligned. Try and do this in the day on something that doesn't move!

What time were you looking at the object, and in what direction? The reason I ask is that if it was not long after sunset and West, then that may well have been Venus, and you won't see a huge amount there. If you were looking in the East slightly later, Jupiter would be the bright object in the sky, and you would be able to make out a little more than a bright dot.

When you saw stars, were they pin-points of light or blurry?

Clear skies :)

Archived