Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spot the Spacecraft

I think you'll agree it's not hard to do.

First image is an intended capture of the ISS from tonight......

post-23986-0-85813100-1388093731_thumb.j

Second image shows a satellite passing right through past the Pole Star (anyone know if this is a common occurrence?)......

post-23986-0-78193600-1388093715_thumb.j

...an unintended capture during a star trails shoot from my back garden (I think I need to try a lower ISO next time as there are rather a lot of stars!)

wow, indeed you have captured loads of photons for your star trail! whats the exif on that shot? ive never seen a satellite passing right through polaris like that, Caithness im guessing is a nice dark city? id love to live some where with hardly any light pollution

wow, indeed you have captured loads of photons for your star trail! whats the exif on that shot? ive never seen a satellite passing right through polaris like that, Caithness im guessing is a nice dark city? id love to live some where with hardly any light pollution

The star trails were from just over 30 mins worth of 30 sec exposures (f3.5; 16mm FL; ISO3200). It should have been longer but passing clouds and the camera battery running out limited what I could use.

I live in Thurso, a small town on the north coast of the county of Caithness (northern end of the UK). Although I live in the town my back garden is pretty dark (except when the nearby football pitch has its floodlights on :sad:). Luckily I don't have to travel far to get to a variety of locations where the SQM reading is >21.5 & the local Astronomy Group  conveniently has its events at a nearby Dark Sky Discovery Site. It's a long way to travel from Southampton, but if you ever make a trip to the Highlands of Scotland outwith the summer months then remember to take some observing gear with you - you won't be disappointed (unless it's cloudy of course :rolleyes:).

nice lens! that 16mm cant be cheap? id loveee some decent glass, ive only got kit lenses for my 7d :( are on the check list and have been for a year or so all ready lol 

ahh nice! ive seen a few people from Caithness on here, i all ways thought it was abroad, id love to go to the highlands for the week, my mate went last year for a week and got some lovely data, here is one of his timelapses...the milky way one is real nice

http://vimeo.com/user12097622

nice lens! that 16mm cant be cheap? id loveee some decent glass, ive only got kit lenses for my 7d :( are on the check list and have been for a year or so all ready lol 

ahh nice! ive seen a few people from Caithness on here, i all ways thought it was abroad, id love to go to the highlands for the week, my mate went last year for a week and got some lovely data, here is one of his timelapses...the milky way one is real nice

http://vimeo.com/user12097622

Fab timelapses. Wish I had the time, patience (& ability :laugh:) to do ones that good.

Archived