Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

By Jove!

CumbrianGadgey

Just tried out my new set of eyepieces.

Well, Christmas or not it was the first clear sky since I got them! My daughter had to put up with things like: "see that blurry thing, thats the Andromeda galaxy...bet your friends at school haven't seen a galaxy!" etc.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this should be in an eyepiece discussion, but the difference between the standard Skywatcher explorer eyepieces and the BST starguiders was made plain tonight.

Jupiter was sharp and clear at x180, the bands were all well defined. At one point I wondered if I'd seen Europa's shadow transiting but couldn't be sure if it was my imagination or not (wishful thinking, probably). I can see what I'll want next...a motorised RA, then I could concentrate on what I'm looking at instead of wobbling the scope twiddling the cable every few seconds. Then I'll want a sturdier EQ-3 mount. Then I'll want a larger aperture than 130mm...then I'll get the phonecall from an irate bank manager!

Still, to see the planet like that when I've only seen it as a bright dot in the sky for 47 years is staggering!

My daughter saw it too. That's kind of nice to think that I've given her something at her age that I never had. She actually seems quite keen!

Great stuff, have you seen saturn yet as thats a stunning sight .

merry xmas

You've second guessed me.

My next target as a virgin planet spotter has to be saturn. the only trouble is, it i'm right it's only showing its face in the early hours...I did get up early once to look at Lovejoy because the forecast was good, but as usual the forecasters had it wrong and it was as black as the hole of Calcutta outside, with no stars.

Tomorrow morning they say its going to be foggy round here from 3 am...perhaps that means I should get up and look for Saturn, 'cause they're never right? We'll see...or not, as the case may be.

I would dearly love to see it, but haven't yet.

Seasons greetings to you and your friends.

Those EPs sound cool - nice fov.

I was out tonight too, with my Mum and my new eyepieces - Vixen NPL 6mm and 15mm and LP filter. Viewing wasn't too clever with plenty of moisture and haze. But did manage to glimpse some interesting views of Europa popping out the bottom of Jupiter (fnarr!). Thought I was imagining it at first but checked with Stellarium.

Mum also got to see the Orion nebula and Pleiades - finally understands my growing obsession.

Can't wait for Saturn to come out at a more family friendly time. It was the first planet I ever saw through a 'scope - a cheap Celestron starter 'scope. Can't wait to see it through my 200mm dob and new EPs!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Archived