Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP for my XT10G

jybgess

I'm new and still learning so please bear with me...

I need advice on some eye pieces. From reading these forums, it sounds like Televue are the best. How are the Televue plossl eyepieces? The price of those don't seem that bad at all.

Now the Televue Naglers.....I might be able to talk my wife into letting me buy 1 to 2 of those.

My question is should I just get the TV Plossl or 2 of the Naglers? I do own a TV 2x barlow 1.25". The only EP's I currently own are the ones that came with my XT10G. A 28mm 2" deepview and a 12.5mm 1.25" plossl.

With my telescope, what size EP would you all suggest? I like to view Planets,nebula, galaxies, clusters..........I guess I like to view everything.

Difficult to answer. The TV plossl's are good and they operate to f/4, as your scope is f/4.7 they should do the job well. Equally the Naglers are good but cost a lot more, so less eyepieces.

TV plossl's are $85-100, Naglers are $270.

Looking at 5 maybe 6 TV plossls against 2 Naglers.

Your scope is 1200mm, the TV 8mm would give 150x, for more when viewing planets then the barlow is a requirement. There is however a 5mm Nagler, 240x.

How about a 5mm Nagler for high power, 8mm Plossl, 32mm plossl and the 11mm plossl.

Actually not sure about making a choice, as it really is 2 Naglers against the full set of plossl's, and the difference is so much I would hate to make the choice from nothing. I do have the set of TV plossl's so not in the situation. Also having the TV barlow comes into the equation. That would give a 4mm, 5,5mm and 7.5mm below the first single 8mm eyepiece.

Would have said get the set of Paradigms, but have heard of one instance where they didn't appear to operate too well on a fast scope. However no idea if the problem was actually the capabilities of the scope.

What do you want:- 2 nice big impressive naglers, or a full set of good quality plossls?

Or a bit of a mix?

My real thoughts are that anyone really need 4 eyepieces to have a reasonable spread. In your case I would say 5mm, 7mm or 8mm, 18mm and a wide one at 25mm to 30mm (all values approximate)

See that Delos are $300.

Considered the ES 82's? ($130)

I have been around in a big circle with my eyepieces in the last two months since the 8" dob arrived.

I already had Revelation Plossls to go into the Dob  (the stock eyepieces went straight into the 3" reflector)

The Plossls worked OK, with a nice 52 degree field of view, and small lenses = low light capture, compensated by the 8-inch apperture.

Then I got the Maxvision 68 degree 24mm and 16mm - Wow

The light capture made the stars sparkle with the 24mm, and the 68-degrees opened up a larger window onto the sky.

I needed more.

Next on the list was an 11mm Explore Scientific 82 degree, to be barlowed down to 240x magnification.

It will be invaluable on the moon at high mag.

Using a 52* Plossl is too restrictive. You can't navigate around the craters and lunar landscape with a narrow FoV.

However - using the Plossl on Jupiter yielded results equal to the 82 degree eyepiece.

So it's horses for courses.

Plossls are good for planets, and bright objects which don't need wide views

The other eyepieces will be good for wide views, and dim objects which need better light capture (nebula, clusters, lunar)

Be carefull about mixing wide view EPs with plossls.

The view from an 82-degree Nagler or ES is 64% bigger than a 50-degree Plossl. 

So a 125x Plossl will show the same amount of sky as a 200x Nagler (I think)

Archived